G'Day from Australia!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilby.qld

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been brewing for a while now; I am in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, which is a sub-tropical location, so refrigeration is my friend.

I have been making AG brews for about five years, and have recently started making cider.

My motivation for becoming a home brewer was the lack of decent beer in this part of the world - things are greatly improved now, but when I first arrived in Brisbane, the choices were all Australian adjunct lagers - nice enough served ice cold on a hot day, but not what I would call beer. I grew up in Yorkshire, England, so my first homebrews were English ales. Most of my recipes are based (some very loosely) on beers I enjoyed as a young man in the UK.

I like the malt-forward strong Yorkshire ales, such as Black Sheep Riggwelter and Theakston's Old Peculier; And the hoppy Kentish styles too.

I also make a Pilsener, which is a big hit with the locals - a nice crystal clear lager, but with some decent flavour, unlike the XXXX they typically get to drink :)

Back