Hops Crisis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrydan

Reaction score
I blanked during my hop additions for my Imperial Stout and left a whole ounce of EK Goldings out!:drunk: According to beersmith my IBUs will be only 34.7 when they need to be above fifty...my wort is cooling as I type and I am wondering if boiling the hops on the stove with a little dme would do the trick.. they were supposed to go 60 min though. Would boiling them in a small amount of wort for the 60 min make them concentrated enough to get my desired bitterness when cooled and added back to the rest? :(

What is the the og of the stout? What are the adjuncts and at what quantities? Sometimes you can develop plenty of bitterness through roasty and toasty grains to compensate for hop bitterness. I often back off on my hops for my stouts because roasted barley adds plenty of sharpness. To answer your question; an ounce of ekgs in a bit of wort won't get you to your desired ibus. Perhaps others will chime in to the proper ratio to get you where you need to be.

OG right now is 1.096. Grains:
3# Maris Otter
3.3# light LME
2.5lbs light DME
1# Amber DME
1# Flaked Oats
1# Melanoidin
.5# Roasted Barley
.5# Choc
.5Black Patent
.4# Blackstrap Molasses

I think with that grain bill you should be ok. I would let it ride especially with a half pound of black patent. Let us know how it turns out.

Back