Gas One Vs Bayou Classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swilliams603

Reaction score
Looking at the Gas One 10 gallon kettle versus the Bayou Classic 16 gallon. Both priced around $118 so debating to go bigger or not for the same price. Does anyone have experience with the quality of either? Not sure I have any interest in doing larger than 5-gallon all-grain batches however you never know. Also, is a 10-gallon boil kettle in any way limiting to high gravity 5-gallon brews? 7-8% DIPA's for example?

Almost want to order both to pick which I like best and return other.

Gas One 10 https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-40QT-...3786&sprefix=gas+one+10+gallon,aps,199&sr=8-6

Bayou Classic 16 https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classi...3786&sprefix=gas+one+10+gallon,aps,199&sr=8-2

The Gas One looks nice, but wouldn't be surprised if they are more the same in quality with the Bayou. I'd opt for the Bayou simply because it is a bigger kettle. I do 5 gallon batches all the time in my 15g kettles, so no issues there. I don't think you'd be limited in a 10 gallon kettle for a high gravity beer. Worse case scenario, you could always do a partial boil. That being said, if you get the 15 gallon Bayou and do your first 10 gallon batch, you will certainly be asking yourself "why didn't I do this sooner". This is especially true, if you're not the lone drinker in your house. It's nice to know when that keg of beer finally kicks, you know there's a back up ready to be tapped.

My first kettle was a 10 gallon Bayou as is my current mash tun. I've had nothing but good luck with both of them.

I would recommend the Bayou classic, it’s bigger and it will grow with your brewing if need be. I have a Bayou classic turkey fryer and it is very well made, I’ve had it for years. I don’t use it as much for brewing now, it gets used more for cooking.

Good idea on going bigger. It's so much better boiling in a pot that is 7 gallons larger than I need.

Back