Blue Moon clone fermenting problems. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddB

Reaction score
3 weeks ago today, I brewed my first all grain biab small batch. The recipe was a 5gallon recipe scale down using Beersmith to my 1.38 gallon batch size. The OG missed the estimate by only .001. (1.051 compared to 1.052) My problem is this...I took a hydrometer reading today in preparation of bottling and the FG is sitting at 1.022. The estimated FG was 1.014

Any ideas what went wrong or where I messed up? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Here's my recipe
1 lbs 6.1 oz two row
13.2 oz flaked wheat
4.4 oz flaked oats
4.4 white wheat malt

.12 oz cascade (45 minutes)
.12 oz cascade (10 minutes)
.10 oz coriander seed (5 minutes)
.05 oz bitter orange peel (5 minutes)
.05 oz sweet orange peel (5 minutes)

Pitched with 5 grams of Safbrew T-58 ale yeast.

Fermented at room temperature of approximately 68f.

If there were and carbonation bubbles in the sample you used to take the FG, that could throw off the reading. You could try pulling a sample and leaving it out for a while to de-gas and then take another reading. If that still shows that you are a good deal above your FG, wait another 3 days and take another reading. If the number is still going down, let it ride for another week or so. If it turns out that it is stalled at 1.022, I'm not sure what you can do to restart it... maybe one of the more experienced brewers here can give you some guidance, but you could always prime, bottle, and condition and get ready for the next brew day.

Also - did you adjust for temperature when you took the OG and FG readings?

I knew I forgot a piece of information.

I mashed at about 156*f. It might have dropped a few degrees over the hour. I then brought the temp up to 168*f for 10 minutes.

After mashing, I pulled the bag, placed it in a colander over the new kettle and allowed it to drain for 30 minutes.

Boyd, I'll take another reason on Tuesday and report back with what it is then.

Back