Garage Floor Cushioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeScott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy All!
After a day of brewing, my back is killing me from standing on the concrete for so long. I try to make myself sit down, but I'm just more of a stand up guy :)
Anyone use any anti-fatigue type of flooring in their garage? I was thinking I could get some of those interlocking tiles, but most of the ones meant for garages don't look too cushiony. Of course, in a perfect world it would clean up easily for regular garage related spills.

I'm in the same boat, hard to sit when brewing. Always something to do, move, clean, check on...

Bar stool does wonders. Next to a flat surface where you can rest a beverage or phone or other time killer. Maybe you'd sit if it were more convenient / your mind didn't see it as a waste of time?

I'm in the same boat, hard to sit when brewing. Always something to do, move, clean, check on...

Bar stool does wonders. Next to a flat surface where you can rest a beverage or phone or other time killer. Maybe you'd sit if it were more convenient / your mind didn't see it as a waste of time?
That's an idea. I may have to give that a try.

The interlocking foam mats at Harbor Freight aren't bad for the price and you can easily cut them to fit around stuff. The big negative in a brewery would be any moisture that gets under them getting trapped. I had a ton of them in a woodworking shop at one time. Just don't weld over them. Not sure they'd actually catch fire, but the sparks put holes all over them.

When my brewery was in the unfinished basement I had a stool at my work table but didn't really like using it. Now its in the finished part of the basement, behind a bar. I'll often move around the other side of the bar to sit down and play on the computer, eat lunch, watch TV or whatever when brewing.

The interlocking foam mats at Harbor Freight aren't bad for the price and you can easily cut them to fit around stuff. The big negative in a brewery would be any moisture that gets under them getting trapped. I had a ton of them in a woodworking shop at one time. Just don't weld over them. Not sure they'd actually catch fire, but the sparks put holes all over them.

When my brewery was in the unfinished basement I had a stool at my work table but didn't really like using it. Now its in the finished part of the basement, behind a bar. I'll often move around the other side of the bar to sit down and play on the computer, eat lunch, watch TV or whatever when brewing.
Thanks for that, those look really reasonable!

Take a look at a local farm/tractor supply store for horse stall mats.. usually 6X4Ft 1/2 thick rubber.. I think they were ~$35 + delivery. I cut mine with a reciprocating saw. They stay put, can easily be hosed off, and provide cushion without feeling too soft. The ones I got have a pattern underneath that keeps water from being trapped too much.

Don’t laugh but I solved this problem with some good Dr Scholls gel work inserts.
I am a swim ref and can spend 8 hours standing in the same spot on concrete pool decks. Thought about a small mat but too much hassle carrying it back and forth.
$20 and they don’t get in the way of your casters or need hosed off at the end of the day.

Don’t laugh but I solved this problem with some good Dr Scholls gel work inserts.
I am a swim ref and can spend 8 hours standing in the same spot on concrete pool decks. Thought about a small mat but too much hassle carrying it back and forth.
$20 and they don’t get in the way of your casters or need hosed off at the end of the day.
I'm not laughing, I was thinking about that, and if I were in your shoes (pun intended) that would probably be the route I would go as well.
I'm actually thinking about doing both the mats and the inserts 😁.

Another concern is getting liquid underneath these interlocking tiles on a cement floor. It can get slick as hell. I've got a 8 x 12 area in front of my work bench (also serves as part of the brew area) that is directly across from a laundry sink. There've been a few instances where spills have resulted in small amounts of spill (as little as a quart or two) has ended up under the tiles. It acts like a super slick lubricant. I've had the entire interlocked pad shift under my feet from just stepping on it from an uncovered section of the concrete floor. I've become very careful to immediately mop up any fluid spills.

Love the comfort for making extended standing on hard surfaces tolerable, but I have to be careful that things stay dry underneath.

Brooo Brother

Back