Time Lag-Between Xfer to Fermenter to Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramsey

Reaction score
After the wort is boiled, chilled and moved to the fermenter how long can you wait to pitch the yeast without some negative effect?

Let's assume good sanitation practices are used. So the finish wort is in a closed sanitary fermenter @ 68F.

Also assume that wort is aerated immediatly prior to the pitch.

That is what I am thinking....overnight, 48 hours max.

The biggest down side I have found in my research is that if you manage to get a bacteria in the wort, waiting allows the bacteria to grow to the point of competing with the yeast. Pitch immediatly minimizes that risk.

But if I use good sanitation protocol, I think I'll be ok.

If you need to wait before pitching, consider just leaving the wort in the kettle, covered of course. Less handling and exposure should be less chance of contamination IMO.

In the kettle....that is good thinkin'. I never considered it, but it is obviously the best way to avoid contamination. Thanks

Also pitch a large starter so the yeast have numbers on their side if they need to compete for food...

I've found little effect on the beer leaving it in the kettle with the lid on over night and pitching in the morning - again using a decanted 2l starter for a 5 gallon batch.

-John

Back