aging in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas77

Reaction score
I just kegged my Strong Scotch ale and was going to age it for about 6 months. Would it be ok just to cap it co2 then set it aside or would I have to carbonate the whole keg first then set aside. Right now it is sitting on a cap of co2 but not hooked up to gas. What do you guys generally do?

From my understanding, I was told you can put a few pounds of co2 into the keg, and bless it a couple of times to get the oxygen out. Then unhook it with a few pounds of co2 in it, and it would be fine.

I've done both. If I have the room and a gas line free, I just hook it up and let it age. If all spots are filled, I do like you just described. I've never had any issues either way.

Either way will work. If you are opting not to leave it hooked up to the gas, just make sure you hit it with enough pressure (20 PSI or so should do it, after purging a few times) to get a good seal.

When I am letting my kegs age, I will quickly bleed a bit of CO2 from the release valve once a week or so to verify that there is still pressure in the keg, in case of leaks.

If your going to leave it that long go ahead and carb naturally. Just put in the sugar (use a calculator to figure amount) the hit it with enough co2 to seal. Come back when you are ready, chill and your good to go

Either way will work. If you are opting not to leave it hooked up to the gas, just make sure you hit it with enough pressure (20 PSI or so should do it, after purging a few times) to get a good seal.

When I am letting my kegs age, I will quickly bleed a bit of CO2 from the release valve once a week or so to verify that there is still pressure in the keg, in case of leaks.

I do this. I've had a few leaks, so checking the pressure every now and again is a good idea. I routinely top off the CO2 as needed.

Caps of co2 eventually dissolve into solution so if you keep topping off with a co2 cap it will eventually carb itself.

I only do it about once a month, so I don't think I'm adding a ton of carbonation. Just trying to keep the seals nice and tight. When I'm ready to serve I do hook it back up to CO2 at 30PSI for a day or so at room temp to get the carb process going.

I used to add sugar and let it carb, but I had mixed results and it was an extra few steps when I kegged.

Now I just force carb it. I get it 1/2 way there at room temp, chill, and hook it up to serving pressure CO2 for a few days. The whole process takes about 4-5 days. Works like a charm.

I only do it about once a month, so I don't think I'm adding a ton of carbonation. Just trying to keep the seals nice and tight. When I'm ready to serve I do hook it back up to CO2 at 30PSI for a day or so at room temp to get the carb process going.

I used to add sugar and let it carb, but I had mixed results and it was an extra few steps when I kegged.

Now I just force carb it. I get it 1/2 way there at room temp, chill, and hook it up to serving pressure CO2 for a few days. The whole process takes about 4-5 days. Works like a charm.

So the extra step of boiling water, measuring out sugar, and adding it to water, then adding that to the keg, is more work than every week adding CO2 to the keg? Guess you don't have to move the kegs around to get to your CO2, otherwise that route sounds like a lot more work.

I had mixed results too, so I built a spunding valve for about $20. Tons of links on here on how to do it. Anyway, you add more sugar than needed and set the valve to lets say 22psi and 65 degrees, which is about 2.3ish units and it bleeds off any thing in excess of 22psi.

So the extra step of boiling water, measuring out sugar, and adding it to water, then adding that to the keg, is more work than every week adding CO2 to the keg? Guess you don't have to move the kegs around to get to your CO2, otherwise that route sounds like a lot more work.

I have a bunch of CO2 tanks. I have a 10 pound tank dedicated to kegging. It's about a 15 second process.

When I keg I just purge the air out of the keg and use my auto-siphon and rack right from the carboy into the keg as is.

Plus, I never felt like I got good results with the sugar method anyway. I ended up having to let the keg carb up in the keezer anyway.

I had mixed results too, so I built a spunding valve for about $20. Tons of links on here on how to do it. Anyway, you add more sugar than needed and set the valve to lets say 22psi and 65 degrees, which is about 2.3ish units and it bleeds off any thing in excess of 22psi.

That's interesting. I'll have to look at that. Thanks for the information.

A spunding valve is on my list of brewing projects. I think you get much finer bubbles w long slow carbing...especially nice for Pilseners.

Back