Keg to mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiGuy

Reaction score
okay so I just got a keg for free and I was wanting to turn it into a mash tun. My question is, would the keggle be heatable, if not what can I do so I can get it so I can use a burner on it.

Yes, it's heatable. But you better be recirculating if you go the direct fire rout.
Google keggle mash tun build site:homebrewtalk.com

Tons of info...

Cheers!

Ive had good success with mine. Make.sure to have a tight lid and try to keep it insulated. An old sleeping bag does well. I wrapped mine in about 12 feet of reflectix (3 full wraps around the tun) and I lose about 1 degree with a 60 min mash. It works well for me, just remember it is not flame resistant, so keep the flames away. It is basically bubble-wrap with a foil like outer and inner layer.

ForumRunner_20130409_201053.jpg

Thanks!! What do you think the best way to cut the top off?

I used a 4" grinder with a cut off disc and really took my time. Youtube has lots of people showing how they do it (some will make a jig, etc.). I used a plasma cutter on the first keggle (my brew pot), and that went through it like butter :). I don't have a really steady hand, so the plasma cutter makes me a bit nervous. I have more room for error with the grinder & cut-off wheel combo.

Back