Aging brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
I brewed up a barley wine 3 weeks ago, and I transfered it to an open better bottle I had. The thing is, it's a 6 gallon vessel, and I have seen that you want as little head space as possible while aging/conditioning. Do you think it'll be fine with about a gallons worth of head space, or should I go pick up a 5 gal vessel and transfer to avoid oxidation?

If you've already transferred I wouldn't do it again to avoid oxidation. You can put a bunch of sanitized marbles in sacks in the carboy to displace the headspace. It might take a bunch though.

That's good idea. I think I would need to spend about as much in marbles as I would for a 5 gallon vessel lol I will have to look into that ;)

Here's a strange idea. What about a big balloon? Sanitize it and put it in deflated. The inflate it until you have no headspace? Might affect flavor though... Maybe just a bad idea after all.

It seems some of the simple answers are not only the most difficult to come by, they are also the best.
It makes learning a joy.
I'll drink to that

Here's a strange idea. What about a big balloon? Sanitize it and put it in deflated. The inflate it until you have no headspace? Might affect flavor though... Maybe just a bad idea after all.

Lol! Love how you had a great idea at the beginning an then talked yourself out of it. Haha.

Bostonbrewin63 said:
Lol! Love how you had a great idea at the beginning an then talked yourself out of it. Haha.

It would have easier to delete the text and skip the post but I thought someone would appreciate the thought process.

Back