Cider Yeast Cake to Irish Red to Big Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sybesbrew

Reaction score
I'm making a cider with some washed WLP001 and was thinking of using the yeast cake from the cider for either an Irish Red then using the Irish Red Cake for a Maharaja Clone. Ideally I'd be building the cake with the OGs. But I have a few questions. Here's the OG/FGs for the recipes:

Cider - OG 1.05 to target FG 1.005 (but probably rack off ~1.01)
Irish Red - OG 1.06 to tartget FG 1.015
Maharaja RIPA - OG 1.09 target FG 1.015

Here's the questions:

Does anyone have experience in using yeast from a cider with a beer?
Would it be possible to have too much yeast for a 1.09 OG beer - is this a good way to approach it?

I'm making a cider with some washed WLP001 and was thinking of using the yeast cake from the cider for either an Irish Red then using the Irish Red Cake for a Maharaja Clone. Ideally I'd be building the cake with the OGs. But I have a few questions. Here's the OG/FGs for the recipes:

Cider - OG 1.05 to target FG 1.005 (but probably rack off ~1.01)
Irish Red - OG 1.06 to tartget FG 1.015
Maharaja RIPA - OG 1.09 target FG 1.015

Here's the questions:

Does anyone have experience in using yeast from a cider with a beer?
Would it be possible to have too much yeast for a 1.09 OG beer - is this a good way to approach it?

Are u washing the cake and then making a starter?

Are u washing the cake and then making a starter?

I would make a starter for the cider, but then no starter for the batches following (the red would be racked onto the cider yeast without a starter and the Maharaja clone would be racked onto the red yeast without a starter).

My guess is I should probably wash the cider cake to get any apple particulates left behind but is that absolutely necessary?

Most of the time when I rack wort onto an existing yeast cake I do not wash it and I have had success (quick start on fermentation, high attenuation, no off flavors). This is what I will do with the Mahararaja clone.

Back