Orange County craft beer bars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was Virginia boonies.
But I am also curious to know.

Tustin Brewery, the Bruery, Steelhead in irvine, Taps in Brea, Cismontane in RSM, Pizza Port San Clemente... some good places in OC.

Just don't end up at Newport Brewing Company, its a joke. But if you get to San Diego vicinity, check out Ballast Point, AleSmith, and Societe Brewing Co.

Your best bet for a large selection of bottles is Total Wine in Irvine. There is also High Time Cellars in Costa Mesa (10 minutes from Irvine), they have a pretty decent selection as well. Within 20 minutes from Irvine are some local breweries such as Bootleggers (Fullerton), The Bruery (Placentia), and Valiant (Orange). If you have a day to make of it, San Diego is the way to go as far as visiting breweries.

I live in Irvine.

Most of the good breweries are about 15 min away in Anaheim/Orange/Fullerton

Valiant Brewing (brand new brewery in Orange)
The Bruery (amazing brewery for sours and wild ales)
Noble Ale Works (brewery in Anaheim)
Bootleggers (brewery in Fullerton)
Bru House (brewpub serving craft beers in Lake Forest)
Crow Burger Bar (awesome burger place that serves craft beer Newport Beach)

There are really no good Bottle shops in that immediate area. You can drive down to Osheas in Laguna Niguel (15min) they have a great selection.

Oh and do not go to Goat Hill Tavern this place SUCKS! Bunch of frat boys and kids, place smells like puke.

**Edit ohhhh and how can I forget Hollingshead Delicatessen in Orange...This is by far the best place to drink craft beer and they have an amazing bottle shop. Their Sandwhiches are amazing..its a very cool family owned place ..only thing is they are closed on the weekends.. If you can go here first!

Yea, OC is a bit of a wasteland. Tustin Brewery is really pretty basic- nothing special there. The Irvine BJ's has a pretty good craft selection besides their house beers, actually. Oshea's is a good bottle shop, though for sure. I can second Goat Hill, though, about your best bet in OC. There's a Total Wine in Irvine/Tustin across from the BJ's in the Marketplace.

If you can make it up to Orange, The Bruery Provisions is a nice tasting room.

Yea, OC is a bit of a wasteland. Tustin Brewery is really pretty basic- nothing special there. The Irvine BJ's has a pretty good craft selection besides their house beers, actually. Oshea's is a good bottle shop, though for sure. I can second Goat Hill, though, about your best bet in OC. There's a Total Wine in Irvine/Tustin across from the BJ's in the Marketplace.

Cmon..Goat Hill really? You must not get out much..haha Goat Hill is horrible ;)

oh and wasteland? seriously? The Bruery, Noble Ale Works, Valiant Brewing, Bootleggers Brewing..Just because you dont live here and not familiar with the area dont call it a wasteland..kinda a subjective comment dont ya think..oh and did you seriously say BJs? haha uhh ok

I live in Irvine.

Most of the good breweries are about 15 min away in Anaheim/Orange/Fullerton

Valiant Brewing (brand new brewery in Orange)
The Bruery (amazing brewery for sours and wild ales)
Noble Ale Works (brewery in Anaheim)
Bootleggers (brewery in Fullerton)
Bru House (brewpub serving craft beers in Lake Forest)
Crow Burger Bar (awesome burger place that serves craft beer Newport Beach)

There are really no good Bottle shops in that immediate area. You can drive down to Osheas in Laguna Niguel (15min) they have a great selection.

Oh and do not go to Goat Hill Tavern this place SUCKS! Bunch of frat boys and kids, place smells like puke.

**Edit ohhhh and how can I forget Hollingshead Delicatessen in Orange...This is by far the best place to drink craft beer and they have an amazing bottle shop. Their Sandwhiches are amazing..its a very cool family owned place ..only thing is they are closed on the weekends.. If you can go here first!

Hollingshead is great beer, great sandwiches/food, and great bottle selection. I definitely recommend.

oh and wasteland? seriously? The Bruery, Noble Ale Works, Valiant Brewing, Bootleggers Brewing..Just because you dont live here and not familiar with the area dont call it a wasteland..kinda a subjective comment dont ya think..oh and did you seriously say BJs? haha uhh ok

I grew up here and I call it a wasteland. Can't wait to GTFO. Bruery is awesome though.

I grew up here and I call it a wasteland. Can't wait to GTFO. Bruery is awesome though.

I wish everyone thought like you and would not live here so I wouldnt have to pay half a million dollars for my $#%$#% condo. ;)

Also, yea, I grew up in Orange County and all my family and in-laws live there, as well as most of my friends. I can call it a wasteland if I like. The Bruery makes great beers for sure, but it's not a place I'd go after work to have a pint with my mates. If you don't like Belgians or SHV, you're a bit out of luck there. And Bootleggers? It's fine, but Karl Strauss makes better beer and serves tastier food.

If you had read my comment, you'd see I called out a specific BJ's as having a decent craft selection apart from their own beers- there are usually at least 4 or 5 beers on draft I can drink any day of the week. I mentioned it because it's in a place someone visiting Irvine is likely to be close to.

Across the street from that BJ's is the Lazy Dog, an average type restaurant with some contracted house brews and another decent craft selection. Honestly, as long as you're not into really out there beer, the Yard House at the Spectrum is your best bet. Who knows how long the unpopular beers have been sitting in those 200ft lines.

I wish everyone thought like you and would not live here so I wouldnt have to pay half a million dollars for my $#%$#% condo. ;)

Just waiting for my house to go back up to 2007 prices and I'm out!! Gonna pay cash for a place that isn't in a concrete cesspool.

Also, yea, I grew up in Orange County and all my family and in-laws live there, as well as most of my friends. I can call it a wasteland if I like. The Bruery makes great beers for sure, but it's not a place I'd go after work to have a pint with my mates. If you don't like Belgians or SHV, you're a bit out of luck there. And Bootleggers? It's fine, but Karl Strauss makes better beer and serves tastier food.

If you had read my comment, you'd see I called out a specific BJ's as having a decent craft selection apart from their own beers- there are usually at least 4 or 5 beers on draft I can drink any day of the week. I mentioned it because it's in a place someone visiting Irvine is likely to be close to.

Across the street from that BJ's is the Lazy Dog, an average type restaurant with some contracted house brews and another decent craft selection. Honestly, as long as you're not into really out there beer, the Yard House at the Spectrum is your best bet. Who knows how long the unpopular beers have been sitting in those 200ft lines.

Again Bjs..SERIOUSLY??? You act like nothing else is in this area but Yard House and BJs. Noble Ale Works is an amazing brewery in Anaheim, Valiant Brewing is another NEW brewery (which you prob dont know about) and Hollingshead Delicatessen is just an amazing place to hang out and drink good beer. ALL of these places are great places to hang out and drink your standard beers. Please stop with the BJS and Yard House.. You obviously missed some of the newer breweries in this area so you must be not be very up to speed on the newer stuff. You are your typical SD transplant, always talking crap about other places that are not SD.

Just to add a few more:
Haven Gastropub (Orange)
Provisions Bottle Shop (BRAND new place in Orange..was the old Bruery Provisons)

Way to go- Anaheim, Orange, Orange. Literally none of the places you mentioned are in Irvine or south of there (Laguna Hills) as OP asked for. Also, what's your problem with BJ's? I don't get the snobbery.

Not to add to the snobbery, but Hight Times cellars has kinda fallen behind the times when it comes to beer selection. They are good for Imported beers, but if you're looking for a better domestic craft beer selection, head to the Whole Foods in fashion island (Newport Beach). I know I know, it's in the heart of yuppy central, but you won't have to hip check any Gucci wearing snobs for that last Oaked Double Bastard.

You called out Laguna Hills specifically, which makes me think you're actually going to be *HERE* rather than Irvine. Since I live in Laguna Hills, I think I can call myself a decent expert on this one :D

Right off El Toro and I-5 are two places (both technically in Lake Forest, but are <3 miles from my house in Laguna Hills):

http://www.slaters5050.com/
http://www.brugrill.com/

Slaters is *awesome*. Absolutely amazing burgers (their signature patty, the 50/50, is 50% beef and 50% ground bacon. Really solid beer list too -- I'd estimate 60 taps, all good stuff. They should give you access to some smaller local craft breweries that you'll miss elsewhere.

Bru is also good, a bit higher end food-wise, and a bit shorter tap list, but rather nice. It definitely caters more to the "OC Housewife" type crowd, but it's still quality.

There's an Oggi's Pizza & Brewery in Mission Viejo.

There's a Total Wine & More (bottle shop) right across the freeway from both these places, and they've got a very good selection. There's also a new Whole Foods in Laguna Niguel, also right next to Laguna Hills.

If you are willing to travel a bit farther south, Pizza Port in San Clemente is a great place to stop.

One warning -- you may be tempted to go to Stadium Brewing Company in Aliso Viejo -- RESIST THAT URGE.

Also, what's your problem with BJ's? I don't get the snobbery.

BJ's is terrible. Originally hailing from Chicago, as I do, makes me think they should be prosecuted for fraud for marketing their "pizza" as "deep dish". There's a BJ's right here in Laguna Hills, and notice it was deliberately left off my recommendation list.

Their beer is passable, but the place is *NOT* someplace I'd call a worthy destination.

I've been disappointed in the Laguna Hills BJ's ever since Gordon Biersch moved out of that location and BJ's replaced them. Getting Slaters & Bru in town was a MAJOR upgrade over BJ's.

BJ's is terrible. Originally hailing from Chicago, as I do, makes me think they should be prosecuted for fraud for marketing their "pizza" as "deep dish". There's a BJ's right here in Laguna Hills, and notice it was deliberately left off my recommendation list.

Their beer is passable, but the place is *NOT* someplace I'd call a worthy destination.

I've been disappointed in the Laguna Hills BJ's ever since Gordon Biersch moved out of that location and BJ's replaced them. Getting Slaters & Bru in town was a MAJOR upgrade over BJ's.

AGREED! Geezus how can someone recommend BJs as an actual destination to check out for decent craftbeer and food.

You called out Laguna Hills specifically, which makes me think you're actually going to be *HERE* rather than Irvine. Since I live in Laguna Hills, I think I can call myself a decent expert on this one :D

Right off El Toro and I-5 are two places (both technically in Lake Forest, but are <3 miles from my house in Laguna Hills):

http://www.slaters5050.com/
http://www.brugrill.com/

Slaters is *awesome*. Absolutely amazing burgers (their signature patty, the 50/50, is 50% beef and 50% ground bacon. Really solid beer list too -- I'd estimate 60 taps, all good stuff. They should give you access to some smaller local craft breweries that you'll miss elsewhere.

Bru is also good, a bit higher end food-wise, and a bit shorter tap list, but rather nice. It definitely caters more to the "OC Housewife" type crowd, but it's still quality.

There's an Oggi's Pizza & Brewery in Mission Viejo.

There's a Total Wine & More (bottle shop) right across the freeway from both these places, and they've got a very good selection. There's also a new Whole Foods in Laguna Niguel, also right next to Laguna Hills.

If you are willing to travel a bit farther south, Pizza Port in San Clemente is a great place to stop.

One warning -- you may be tempted to go to Stadium Brewing Company in Aliso Viejo -- RESIST THAT URGE.

I second Pizza Port in SC..Amazing place!

Back