Dry hopped in the keg 1-2 days too long. Will taste fade with time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out I might have dry hopped in the keg 1-2 days too long were there is a slight vegetable after taste to my beer. Has anyone found that this taste will fade with time?

I have a second keg of the same recipe that has not been dry hopped so I have been thinking of trying to blend these two kegs together to help reduce this taste but I thought it would be better to ask some other opinions first.

I wouldn't think a day or two would matter that much (I could be wrong). Chance of a DMS issue?

How long did you dryhop in the keg for?
Which hops?
Maybe lower your co2..
I've dryhop in the keg for 2 months before and no vegetable taste(keg was always cold)..
Igotsand

I had the hops in for 7 days as the keg was cold. Used 1 oz of Sterling hops for 5 gallons of beer. I'll try lowering the CO2 to see if that helps.

Thanks

7 days cold with 1 ounce?....yea, you'll be fine. You could probably have left it in for 2 weeks.

I doubt the vegetal taste is from a 7 day cold dry hop. I've done 12 day warm dry hops with 5 oz's and haven't had vegetal tastes.

I had similar issue with my last IPA.
After 3 days of dry hop beer had great flavor but when kegging 4 days after (7 days sum of dry hop) there was some grassy aroma.
It disappeared after a week in keg.

I think you will be fine. Sounds like you are tasting all of the crud that dropped out of the beer. Where these your first tastings of the beer after kegging?

From what people say around here, a week at serving temps is not a problem. Many people dryhop in the keg for 3-4 weeks, until keg is kicked. I've had vegetal issues before as well... I haven't been able to isolate the issue. Although I'm beginning to suspect hop type and condition.

Yea the freshness of the hop really plays a big role in this issue too

Seems like you'll be fine man. When I hop in the keg at serving temps I don't take them out until I float the keg. I also wait 10-14 days before tasting - this gives the keg time to carb and also lets the dry-hop even out. They're often a bit much right of the gate but will mellow really nicely with time. Just my experience.

Back