Frozen keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I went to get a glass of ginger soda last night and nothing came out - no air or anything. I released the pressure and peeked inside to see a huge slug shaped hunk of ice encasing the dip tube! My kegerator is a side-by-side and that side of the keg was pressed against the wall of the freezer. I turned both sides down a notch and wish I took a picture. I'm just glad it wasn't one of my beer kegs!

So I went to get a glass of ginger soda last night and nothing came out - no air or anything. I released the pressure and peeked inside to see a huge slug shaped hunk of ice encasing the dip tube! My kegerator is a side-by-side and that side of the keg was pressed against the wall of the freezer. I turned both sides down a notch and wish I took a picture. I'm just glad it wasn't one of my beer kegs!

Even if it was beer, I don't think it would have affected the taste. Maybe head-retention/haze if it damaged the proteins? A lot of frozen stuff is mostly ~pure water anyways.
I did this accidentally during cold crash, partially freezing some beer (a way to get higher abv), and once during fermentation (early on too, right after pitching yeast, temp probe broke and freezer kicked in with full force, freezing beer overnight). Surprisingly, when I thawed it the yeast happily kicked into a high gear and fermented the beer without any problems or off-flavors.

I've probably been drinking it a little concentrated for a while now. When it thawed, it was a little flat (but the ginger burn kind of covers that up) and not as sweet.

Back