From Belgium, but living abroad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orval

Reaction score
Hello, happy to have found this forum ... Actually it's because I searched for homebrewing ideas on Pinterest that I reached the forum... I was born in Belgium and live now in SE Asia (since 2003-retired from a University in 2017). Special beers are so expensive here that I decided to start brewing, after noticing that brewing materials were available here (malts, hop etc.). I'm familiar with the fermentation process and eager to learn how to brew beer. I already have an SS 100-litre fermenter Ø 50cm, a 100-litre boiler + gas burner, another 48-litre pot Ø 40cm for another hobby of mine. The idea is to buy another Ø 45cm - 45cm high pot and a beer bag + some ss valves and silicon tubing. I already have got a pump and will make a counter-flow wort chiller with a hose and a Ø 3/8" copper pipe... Don't really trust that much on long haul the small plate chillers some people are using.

Welcome to this type of brewing. It sounds like you had an interesting life. I'm a simple, extract brewer, but I've got 10 years on you and do have a bit of advice: keep in mind that it doesn't gets easier to lift stuff. :bigmug:

Hey, welcome, and I am a newbie myself. I lived in Belgium for a few years. Although not near what most even know about as a Belgian beer, or anything near a craft beer, I loved Jupiler as an everyday drinking beer. Maes Pils was a good alternative.
Sorry, did not mean to take your post off target.

Hey, welcome, and I am a newbie myself. I lived in Belgium for a few years. Although not near what most even know about as a Belgian beer, or anything near a craft beer, I loved Jupiler as an everyday drinking beer. Maes Pils was a good alternative.
Sorry, did not mean to take your post off target.
It's allright! Thank you for your message. Maes Pils is a high quality beer due to a very clean brewing process, but I prefer(-red-not available here) a Jupiler.

Welcome to this type of brewing. It sounds like you had an interesting life. I'm a simple, extract brewer, but I've got 10 years on you and do have a bit of advice: keep in mind that it doesn't gets easier to lift stuff. :bigmug:
Thank you. I know this and ask my friend Gravity for help.

Welcome. Do you specialize in Belgian beer or plan to brew a wide variety?
Frankly speaking, I would be very happy to get some palatable stuff at my very first batch which is still to come...
I'm ordering some materials right now (quick connectors, hose...)
My dream is a clone of Orval, I found recipes but not sure whether the ingredients are available down here.

Specialized in Belgian beer. . . Isn't that an oxymoron? :)
Indeed it is an oxymoron, if you consider all varieties and the new ones that are always increasing in number...
While some classical disappeared like Vieux-Temps in Mont Saint Guibert, closed by Interbrew. I visited that brewery with the school where I was a boarder (Basse-Wavre), it was private owned at the time and the owner's son was at the same school. We got a glass of beer at the end of the visit... Things changed in the meantime...
I'd like to make an Orval like beer and Saint Feuillien (Le Roeulx) which isn't a trappist but an Abbey beer, I knew quite well the owner but we haven't met for 20 years now, don't know whether he would give me the ingredients list (spices ). There's a new one, a friend of mine gave me to taste about three years ago, La Douffe from Mons, Belgian strong ale 8%, the first slip gave a sensation close to Orval.

Welcome. Do you specialize in Belgian beer or plan to brew a wide variety?
Thank you!
Hopefully Belgian beer but it all will depend upon what kind of malts and hop I can get down here.

I have had success with a variety of hops pairing with the Belgian yeasts I use most. I am sure you will make something delicious, and if you end up making something that doesn't use styrian goldings how better to celebrate Belgium than thumbing your nose at the style guide?

Last edited:
Back