Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to a Moosehead keg that is a metal bottom and a plastic top. I bent the heck out of the ring that locks the keg in place. Also, I believe it to be only a 13.5 gallon keg. But, if you're in need and that's suits you, hit me up. I'm in your general area so pick wouldn't be too bad.

BTW, those of you who use SANKEs, I could use some help. I bent that ring up because I either lack the mental fortitude to figure out how to put it on correctly, or I lack the tool to help. I've heard the tool costs hundreds...that can't be right. Is there a tool that is relatively cheap that you know how to acquire to help "my kind" out?

Made a ring puller out of a butter knife I swapped from a greasy spoon, and a dremel with cutoff wheel.. 20 minutes... If I have time I'll post you a pic, and how I devised the shape, or copied it from the ring..

Made a ring puller out of a butter knife I swapped from a greasy spoon, and a dremel with cutoff wheel.. 20 minutes... If I have time I'll post you a pic, and how I devised the shape, or copied it from the ring..

are those internal snap rings? don't they have a couple of loops so you can use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove them?

Internal snap ring is the lower ring:
http://www.spikewheel.com/images/spikewheelwp116.jpg

snap ring pliers:
http://clunkbucket.com/wp-content/uploads/snap_ring_pliers-300x225.jpg

Let's go, Purples! Please start submitting your payment. Thanks.

are those internal snap rings? don't they have a couple of loops so you can use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove them?

Internal snap ring is the lower ring:
http://www.spikewheel.com/images/spikewheelwp116.jpg

snap ring pliers:
http://clunkbucket.com/wp-content/uploads/snap_ring_pliers-300x225.jpg

Tho only retaining ring I need to pull is the top flat spring, spear retainer..it has a a curved shaped end, so I made my butter knife have the negative curve of it, push it into the curve, tilt towards you and up slightly and the coil is on its way out, then use my fingers from there. The threaded spears do away with that, but will need a spanner wrench I'm guessing.

what is centennial type? Is this centennial or a knockoff of centennial?

johns said:
what is centennial type? Is this centennial or a knockoff of centennial?

It's a cross-breed of centennial engineered to help stave off the extinction of Centennial.

Thanks, thinking about it if there are any openings left. I.E. If there are any open orders left open in this group buy. Just thinking in advance.

Brewing disaster! Anyone in the St. Charles area have a spare ball lock gas post I could borrow for the evening? The place at 31 and north was closed at 4:30

Took a cornie of mosaic to a buddies get together and forgot the darn gas fitting for my on-the-go rig.

Meh.

we have collected about 94% of all the funds. a few more people and we're done collecting. I can then place the order and pay.

question for everyone participating:

how long do we wait for people to pay up before dropping them from the buy?

bmason1623 said:
question for everyone participating:

how long do we wait for people to pay up before dropping them from the buy?

I would think that a week after starting collection is more than enough.

As Paul pointed out, I have been shown how to take the ring out. However, I have not been able to successfully replace it. Between your spoon and him berating me, :) , maybe I'll learn!

brian_n said:
when people are dropped from the buy, will there be a first come first serve distribution of their orders?

I suspect this will happen, at least for the splits involved.

brian_n said:
when people are dropped from the buy, will there be a first come first serve distribution of their orders?

I'll be happy to take over Kissinger's order.

starman said:
Brewing disaster! Anyone in the St. Charles area have a spare ball lock gas post I could borrow for the evening? The place at 31 and north was closed at 4:30

Took a cornie of mosaic to a buddies get together and forgot the darn gas fitting for my on-the-go rig.

Meh.

Problem solved!

How about posting the "phase" of the buy on the first page of the thread? It takes a while to read all the pages and find when the order is closed and when money is due. I think it would be a lot easier if you posted those important deadlines on the front page.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

How about posting the "phase" of the buy on the first page of the thread? It takes a while to read all the pages and find when the order is closed and when money is due. I think it would be a lot easier if you posted those important deadlines on the front page.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Good idea I think. Thoughts?

I don't think it could hurt. My phone app is set up to show the first post when I open the thread listing (i.e., "Group Buys") although it sends me to the most recent post when I open the actual thread (i.e., "Group Buy in Chicago #8"). But that's configurable.

Having the first text in the first post would make it more visually obvious in cases where someone only scans the first post or has their phone app set up to show the first post in the thread, but everyone in the buy should be following the posts regardless.

[edit] I should say that I think it's good idea to have essential and current info in the header post as a general point of reference throughout the buy. Agree with kmarley on that.

I was referring to having "Buy Open" or "Collecting Money" or other short status descriptions show up as the first text in the first thread.

First Post ...because the link for the buy is there. In future that should be the place to refrence all updates regarding the open/close/pay/pickup. That way you can tell everyone, and they will/should all know.

As far as when to close, I thought you said somewhere it takes 2 weeks to collect....so that may be in the back of some minds. Is there anyway to email those people or send them a Private Message....maybe in the future for newbies require a phone number, and keep some kind of database.

...and thats my opinion...

bmason1623 said:
Good idea I think. Thoughts?

I think it's a pretty good idea. And maybe make it the first text in the post, that's what will show in a notice. I'm set up to open to the newest unread post, and as a noob I'm obsessed with following this thread to make sure I am not the problem, but I can see where that may not be the case with others.

One other suggestion I thought of, in the spreadsheet include the email and screen name in the line with the total amount owed. Scrolling through the whole sheet on my phone is tough, but sorting by name is easy.

First Post ...because the link for the buy is there. In future that should be the place to refrence all updates regarding the open/close/pay/pickup. That way you can tell everyone, and they will/should all know.

As far as when to close, I thought you said somewhere it takes 2 weeks to collect....so that may be in the back of some minds. Is there anyway to email those people or send them a Private Message....maybe in the future for newbies require a phone number, and keep some kind of database.

...and thats my opinion...

I think it's important that all participants keep up with the buy.

Just paid you by PayPal, Bill. Sorry for the late payment, and thanks to Art for the reminder.

Since I'm all for speeding up collection time but not giving the organizers more work, I'll volunteer to send out an email to everyone on the spreadsheet once the collection phase begins for future buys.

brian_n, I believe that is one of the features in the new system. It will be able to email people when a new one is starting and when it comes time to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back