Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
Had a lot of compliments on this recipe and thought i'd share. Some people described it as "drinking an Almond Joy".

Recipe: Coconut Porter

All grain
Calculated for 70% Efficiency

Batch Size: 5 Gallons

Target Gravity 1.064

Safale S-04
Attenuation: 68-71% (1.018-1.020 FG)

Used RO water, with 1tsp/ea Calcium Chloride and Gypsum per 5 gallons.

Grain bill:
8lbs Marris Otter
2lbs 2-row (only because I didn't have an extra 2lbs of MO)
12oz Malted Oats
1lb Chocolate
10oz Crystal 80L

Hop Schedule:
1oz East Kent Goldings @ 60min
0.5oz East Kent Goldings @ 30min
0.5oz East Kent Goldings @ 10min

Mash at 155F for 90min, batch sparge.

Primary ferment at 64F for 10-12 days.

Rack to Keg (Secondary) and add 1lb coconut flakes (available at Whole Foods). Toast on stove to golden brown.

Let secondary for 2 weeks. I secondary in the keg, so I can purge out all 02 that might be hidden in the coconut flakes. I used a dryhopper from Stainless Brewing and left the flakes in while I carbonated and removed them after about a month in the keg just to free up the dryhopper.

Carbonate to 1.8-2 volumes CO2.

Thoughts:

The coconut produces an oily texture to the mouthfeel (not a bad thing). Very rich tasting, lots of chocolate and toffee coming through behind the huge coconut flavor. Carb'd it on the low side (8 psi at 38F for 2 weeks). I don't think you'd want this to attenuate a whole bunch, it might lose a lot of the richness it has, it's not quite a dessert beer but not quite a "sessionable" beer either. Next time I might try WL002 and ferment a tad warmer (66-68F) to get a little more fruitiness from the yeast.

This is great, was just looking for a great porter base to throw some coconut and raspberries on after i had Dark Horse KBE porter last night.
Thx for the inspiration!

Cool, let me know what you think! Raspberry sounds like an interesting addition.

Latest posts

Back