Free AutoCAD-type software???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Obviously not brewing software but I figured this would be the best place to post this.

I have a scetch hand drawn for a wood brew stand and would like to make it digital. What is good (preferably free) design software that I could use to do this in 3D? Something like AutoCAD I assume but much easier to use.

TIA,

John

Google sketch is a good resource. Not really CAD at all, but does the job you are looking for.

If all you need is one quick project, most CAD packages have some sort of 30-day trial (always with a "personal use only" agreement, often with watermarks on the output, occasionally with no ability to save a file).

AutoCAD is a standard default for just about anything - a little intimidating at first, but the busy interface can be easily simplified and cleaned up to hide the advanced functions. LOTS of free tutorials. Somewhat constrained in ability to make organic shapes.

As mentioned, SketchUp is a handy little app for, as the name implies, sketching ideas up quickly - but can be done with attention to dimensions, etc. Definitely far from my favorite tool, but popular with beginners or those intimidated by full CAD programs.

My personal favorite for general design is Rhinoceros 3D CAD from McNeel and Associates. Although not a conventional CAD application, it has an incredibly short learning curve, an ability to create wonderfully intricate shapes of ALL kinds, and built-in rendering capability. Rhino also has lots of built-in solids analysis capabilities, such as detecting leaks in seams, heat distribution through solids, or weight/applied force through a structure.

A relatively-newer player in the CAD scene is Revit from Autodesk - supplying you with pre-built solid shapes and capable of analyzing just about any applied force or effect, but at a high learning curve.

One of the most popular 3D modeling programs available for free is Amapi. Full-featured modeling in a straight forward interface that is easy for beginners to pick up.

Huh autocad isnt free????

Most definitely not and Autodesk has one of the highest rates of prosecution regarding piracy and licensure infringement.

Acad 9 is a very basic 2D/3D freeware. Much like AutoCad was in it's earliest of DOS based versions without the Modeling.

Johnodon, not sure if you are still looking but here is one I cam across that is free.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/

Check it out. I don't use it because we use AutoCad at work but I did download it and take a look. It's set up well and done by a good company.

If I can't get LT98 to run in Win7, looks like I'll be giving this a try. being a CAd Tech for too long takes all the conveinience out of hand drawing.

I highly doubt you will be able to run LT98 on win7. Win7 is 64bit and LT98 and most of the old Autocad stuff uses a 16bit install device that win7 won't work with. We couldn't even install 2000 on win7. When I was trying to get 2000 to install on win7 I did some research and found that it can be done but you have to install it on the web or something then bring the installed program over to the 64bit system.

I highly doubt you will be able to run LT98 on win7. Win7 is 64bit and LT98 and most of the old Autocad stuff uses a 16bit install device that win7 won't work with. We couldn't even install 2000 on win7. When I was trying to get 2000 to install on win7 I did some research and found that it can be done but you have to install it on the web or something then bring the installed program over to the 64bit system.

I have assumed the same thing based on my trials with Vista 64 but everything "promises" that XP Mode can make it happen. Not sure how but considering that LT98 ran on XP Pro 64 bit........

Of course, every IT tech I know that has any familiarity with Vista 64 says it should install under XP Compatibility with Vista and it won't.

Update: LT98 works perfectly under Win7 Virtual PC XP Mode.

However,

DraftSight is a very good CAD application for those who are AutoCAD literate. So far, I have found that all the common keyboard strokes for ACAD are properly mapped to the appropriate DS commands/tools.

And given that, I may very well uninstall AutoCAD LT98 to recover the disk space taken up by that and Virtual XP.

Good topic...

What is a good program for 3d modeling? as in free form 3d stuff, say I want to draw a 3d hand or something.. Or maybe a 3d toy?

Thanks!!

Good topic...

What is a good program for 3d modeling? as in free form 3d stuff, say I want to draw a 3d hand or something.. Or maybe a 3d toy?

Thanks!!

For free-form and organic shapes, I'd recommend Rhinoceros 3D every time!

You have enough responses, but I use Draftsight. It's just like AutoCAD so if you know Acad, you'll know this. Same command line and everything.

I'm not much of a fan of AutoCAD for 3D applications, but I use it everyday for circuit schematics (2D) and have no problems with it. If someone is looking for a free AutoCAD-type software for circuit schematics, I recommend LiteCAD.

Solid works
is the best for parametric modeling. AutoCad is lightyears behind and ProE is way overkill for 99% of the engineering design work that is done.

Autodesk has made some great projects. Revit is the platform I work on now at work. The suite package for both revit and autocad costs about $5,000 a year. If you want to run revit you will need a computer with a minimum of 12 gigs of ram to open larger models. For instance one model im working on now is 545mb.

Back