Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphit

Reaction score
So I have made a couple batches. I want to make an ipa and I have a recipe that calls for hops to be added on day 7. What does that step look like? Is that dry hopping or am I completely off?

Yes, it is dry hopping. The seventh day is a little earlier for most recipes. But, when you add hops to the fermenter after fermentation is done, that is what is called dry hopping.

That's dry hopping. You can just toss them into primary (or secondary - not starting that here) and let them go for a week or so. The hop pellets will drop out and you rack and bottle your beer. Alternatively, you can put your hops in a hop sock so you don't have to deal with the particles when you bottle - just be sure to sanitize the hop sock.

You add them into the fermenter and most people use a hap sack (a mesh sack that is filled and tied before being added). You will also need some weight to hold them down. I use glass marbles that are sanitized along with the sack before adding. Once your beer is ready, just siphon out of the fermenter and then fish out the sack while cleaning the fermenter.

"most people" ? Just toss them into your vessel.

This is what I do, and if they haven't all settled when I'm ready to transfer to the next vessel, I get some paint strainer bags, sanitize, then rubber band (also sanitized) them to the tip of my racking cane. Works perfectly, I do IPAs all the time this way.

Just make sure you don't push the racking cane too deep in the vessel and disturb the bottom, if you kick up too much hop material, it can clog the bag. This isn't a big deal, as a couple of swooshes in a bowl of sanitizer clears them, but better to not get them there at all. Slowly lower the cane as the beer level drops, keeping it just under the top of the beer and you'll be fine.

Yes, it is dry hopping. The seventh day is a little earlier for most recipes. But, when you add hops to the fermenter after fermentation is done, that is what is called dry hopping.

I agree that 7 days is too early unless you are a very accomplished brewer. It's a better idea to wait for 10 to 14 days before you add the dry hops.

I use a tea ball for dry hopping. It's already weighted and works great. The one I have maxes about an ounce though. I haven't done more than that though. My next batch may be 3 oz dry hopped will probably do a hop sack with that though. Didn't think about the weight though. Learning is half the battle

This is all great information. Everyday I learn so much and just want to make beer all day. Thank you everyone for the advice and tips.

Latest posts

Back