Forgot a step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kewp

Reaction score
Hi all,
New here and did my first brew yesterday and forgot to take the original gravity reading.
Can I or should I do it today 24 hours later in the Fermenter?

If you brewed from an extract kit use the original gravity the kit says. In 12 hours the test you might take would no longer be valid as fermentation would have already started as the yeast would be building up their numbers. In 24 hours any sample you would take would give you a wrong answer.

Unless you really need to know the ABV of the finished beer, just wait and take a couple FG readings when the ferment is over to verify that the readings are not changing. If they match exactly, you are ready to bottle.

Hi all,
New here and did my first brew yesterday and forgot to take the original gravity reading.
Can I or should I do it today 24 hours later in the Fermenter?

Too late now. If it was a kit, you used all the ingredients, and got the right volume the predicted OG in the instructions is going to be close. And as close as you are going to get now.

As to the OG, if you do not care to calculate for the ABV, you don't really need it.

I wanted to point out to a newbie that brewing with grain isn't so scary. ;)

It's all good.

I wanted to point out to a newbie that brewing with grain isn't so scary. ;)

It's all good.

Get that, but with all grain the "go by the predicted OG in the kit instructions" goes out the window. Still if the brewer doesn't really care about the ABV, an OG reading is not totally necessary. But if the brewer wants to work on consistency it is.

If you happen to have a refractometer you could get a pretty good estimate on the original gravity. Once the beer has finished fermenting, check the FG with the hydrometer, check the Brix with a refractometer and plug those numbers into a "OG of finished beer" calculator. I've had to do this once before and used the one on Beersmith.

If you happen to have a refractometer you could get a pretty good estimate on the original gravity. Once the beer has finished fermenting, check the FG with the hydrometer, check the Brix with a refractometer and plug those numbers into a "OG of finished beer" calculator. I've had to do this once before and used the one on Beersmith.

IMO, this will give you an estimate of the OG, how accurate is questionable since it is a calculation based on a couple of SG readings. There will be error there as well as in the calculations. How much error? I don't know.

Yeah, that's why I say it's a pretty good estimate, not exact. If you have a refractometer I say an estimate is better than not knowing at all.

Back