Irish Car Bomb: Your Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Irish Car Bombs? I personally think it's one of the tastiest concoctions I've ever drank, but I know of a few people who don't enjoy them. What are your thoughts?

CeltIrishCarBomb.jpg

love them. I'd much rather drink one or two of these every half hour then half the garbage my friends consider "bombs" with their Red Bull.

The bartenders at my local watering hole also made a similar one for the fall season involving puimpkin spice ale, goldschlager and baileys. They are trying to perfect a similar one with RumChata as well.

They are both chocolatety and delicious. The British take a dim view when you try to order them in London. The ones I'm familiar with are an almost full pint of Guiness and an almost full shot of Bailey's Irish Cream topped up with Jameson.

While I have fond memories of them, I don't drink them anymore. Too many half-remembered nights.

I've done way too many in my short time of being legally able to drink. As a champion chugger I can put back 2 carbombs faster than an amateur can put back one.

Pratzie said:
love them. I'd much rather drink one or two of these every half hour then half the garbage my friends consider "bombs" with their Red Bull.

The bartenders at my local watering hole also made a similar one for the fall season involving puimpkin spice ale, goldschlager and baileys. They are trying to perfect a similar one with RumChata as well.

One or two every half hour? How are you standing upright after a couple hours? I love car bombs, but they spell trouble for me. I barely remember the night when we start with those.

They are both chocolatety and delicious. The British take a dim view when you try to order them in London. The ones I'm familiar with are an almost full pint of Guiness and an almost full shot of Bailey's Irish Cream topped up with Jameson.

Too bloody right!

I imagine they're easy to get hold of in some bars, but they're certainly considered more of a "lowbrow" getting-hammered-for-the-sake-of-it type drink over here, so I find it easy to believe that you'd get a funny look ordering them in most reputable establishments.

The kind of places that sell jagerbombs would probably be cool with it.

I don't particularly like Guinnes anyway, I prefer a proper stout from a hand pull rather than this extra-cold freeflow nonsense. Although, if you're going to nail it in one I guess it doesn't really matter what it tastes like...

I'm not really a chugger or a shot taker. I'll sip on some bourbon every now and again, but I would rather just have a nice pint than slam half a pint of Guinness and curdled baileys. I'm also lactose intolerant so my friends always ordered mine with Jameson when everyone was doing car bombs. Yuck.

I love them too but I think they need a new name. It sounds funny to us but I don't think it'd be funny to an Irishman.

There's a drink called Cement Mixer which is a shooter: Irish cream, lime juice, sometimes rum. I'd be cool with that name taking over the entire genre of coagulated-on-purpose Irish-cream-based mass alcohol delivery methods. The trend starts here! :mug:

I will drink them, although, I really dislike Guinness (the budweiser of stouts). I would rather increase the Jameson in it and reduce the amount of Irish cream, but that's just me.

I can only handle them around St. Patricks day. If you get a chance, try replacing the Guinness with Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, delicious!

I love them too but I think they need a new name. It sounds funny to us but I don't think it'd be funny to an Irishman.

I have a friend from Ireland who says...how would Americans feel if the Irish had drinks named Twin Towers, or Sandy Hook...or the latest stateside incident. Boston Marathon...too soon?

There's a drink called Cement Mixer which is a shooter: Irish cream, lime juice, sometimes rum. I'd be cool with that name taking over the entire genre of coagulated-on-purpose Irish-cream-based mass alcohol delivery methods. The trend starts here! :mug:
The one (and only) time I've seen a cement mixer consumed was a small gathering; myself and three college friends. Pete, the off-the-wall, who-knows-what's-coming next host, Sarah, the not-quite-drinking age coed I was starting to chase at the time, and Christy, the 5'2", chesty blonde with the bubbly personality that could melt you (but she was in a long-term relationship).

Pete brought up the cement mixer, and Christy volunteered to do one. Watching her throw that thing back ranks pretty high on the hottest things I witnessed in college list. To this day, thinking about that raises my blood pressure a bit.

Back