flavor profile of under-conditioned beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
Are there particular flavors or other tell-tale signs of beer that hasn't been conditioned long enough? I imagine this depends on the beer, so I'll mention that my first batch is a Belgian--Noble Trappist extract mix from Midwest Supplies.

Thanks!

No..there's too many variables for there to be anything definitive.

Basically if your beer's under 6-8 weeks in the bottles and it doesn't taste to your satisfaction, then after that period has passed if it taste better, then it was green.

How long has you beer been in the bottle. If it's a big beer it could be 6 months before it comes into it's own.

It's been in the bottle for 3 1/2 weeks, but the temp in the closet where I have it stored has fluctuated between 64 and 68 degrees. We had some on its 3 week birthday, and it was quite good with good carbonation, but had a little bitter pill taste I disliked. I am hoping that bitterness (not hoppy) will go away.

Oh, and this batch isn't a high alcohol one. OG =1.051, FG= 1.010

Thanks!

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

I find that bitterness tends to mellow with age. I'm drinking an IPA currently that had an off putting bitterness when I first kegged it. After about a week, it was a nice hoppy bitterness. Give it some time and it will most likely mellow.

If the beer seems too bitter now, I'd agree that it's likely just green. Leave it alone a couple more weeks and try one more. Don't be surprised if the best bottles are the last ones you drink.

Last year, I brewed Revvy's Leffe clone. Four weeks into bottles, I was very disappointed. Bitter, with a hot alcohol flavor. Two weeks later, it was better, but not wonderful. Two more weeks, and it was like a different beer - nice fruity notes, no longer bitter, no alcohol burn.

Give it time.

Wow! I hope you enjoy hearing that you were right, because, boy, were you right. What a difference a week makes. After aging a little longer, I chilled a bottle on Wednesday to test on Sunday, and it was delicious. I will try to exercise more patience with batch #2, started last night. Thank you for your sage advice! Patience is a virtue, indeed.

I brewed a Trappist 9 months ago, each bottle I drink gets better.

Around the same time, I brewed a Pils, and the flavors are smoother, cleaner, and somehow hoppier than 4 months ago (even though the "word" is hopiness fades with time).

I brewed a IIPA, after four months, it started losing deliciousness- luckily it was so good I had only a few bottles at that point.

To me, ageing beer is one of the most fascinating parts of homebrewing. I have found the vast majority of them improve, up to a year (though I have few that last more than a year anyhow).

I very much want to brew some huge barleywines, RIS, and Quads, and let them sit for years. Don't know if I have that much patience.

What I notice happens to my beers if they're not conditioned properly is that they have what I describe as being surrounded by carbonation. Like it almost seems (though I know it's not true) too carbonated and then a week later it's perfect. heck one time 2 days later it was perfect (and a total smash at the Holiday party)

Back