Can I save slurry in a bottle of beer, realistically?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
I have a batch of sour blonde with ECY Bugfarm. Obviously, having gotten my hands on some Bugfarm, I don't want to give it up; I want to save as much of it as possible. I had been planning to do a mini-solera, bottle half the batch, refill, wait till sour, and repeat, but I'm having some financial difficulties at present, and I don't think it's feasible to do that right now.

What I was thinking is that I can bottle the batch, and then take two or three bottles, fill them half-full of beer, and then fill them the rest of the way with slurry from the fermenter. That would theoretically give me enough bugfarm to restart multiple batches of this down the line. My hope is that sealing the slurry in a bottle, with an oxygen absorbing cap, under fermented beer, might let me save these for a bit longer than otherwise.

Is this an unnecessarily complicated idea, or is this worth trying?

I would be worried about creating a bottle bomb by doing that. As long as the beer is completely fermented out I guess it might be ok. I would think there are far better storage container options for you though. You can get Nalgene storage bottles pretty cheap from various places on the web.

Rinsing yeast is preferable for longer term storage and this thread has a lot of good info on the subject.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

You do not need to spend anything really. For years I just stored in condiment jars quite successfully.

rinsedkolsch.jpg

Back