FOAM fountain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeninVT

Reaction score
I made my first attempt making Root Beer using raw ingredients. MAJOR fail. I am going to try again using Root Beer extract. I am bottling it in 2 liter PET bottles with screw caps. I am going to use champagne yeast and am wondering how to prevent the foam problem when opening the bottle to drink it. I tried opening it VERY slowly last time, and that didn't seem to help at all. I ended up putting it in a plastic trash bag and opening my bottles in there and it was nothing but a foam fountain. Most of my root beer was gone and what was left had no carbonation left in it. I did put my bottles in the refrigerator after they became hard and had them in there for about a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I made my first attempt making Root Beer using raw ingredients. MAJOR fail. I am going to try again using Root Beer extract. I am bottling it in 2 liter PET bottles with screw caps. I am going to use champagne yeast and am wondering how to prevent the foam problem when opening the bottle to drink it. I tried opening it VERY slowly last time, and that didn't seem to help at all. I ended up putting it in a plastic trash bag and opening my bottles in there and it was nothing but a foam fountain. Most of my root beer was gone and what was left had no carbonation left in it. I did put my bottles in the refrigerator after they became hard and had them in there for about a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I guess my only suggestion is to put them in the fridge a little sooner so they stop fermenting the sugar sooner.

Thanks Yopper. I figured that might be the problem, but being a newbie, I wasn't sure.

Back