Flavored sparkling water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
My fiance bought a case of naturally flavored sparkling water. I think it had lime and some other fruit flavoring (obviously plus water and co2). How can I make this at home? I can easily make sparkling or carbonated water but how do I get the fruit flavors in?

I want this to be a healthy water so no sugars or artificial sugar crap. I would think the best way would be to simply add fruit to the keg but will the fruit last a while like that? It seems like the fruit would turn gross after a week in water like that. Is there flavoring I can buy or does anyone have any other ideas?

My fiance bought a case of naturally flavored sparkling water. I think it had lime and some other fruit flavoring (obviously plus water and co2). How can I make this at home? I can easily make sparkling or carbonated water but how do I get the fruit flavors in?

I want this to be a healthy water so no sugars or artificial sugar crap. I would think the best way would be to simply add fruit to the keg but will the fruit last a while like that? It seems like the fruit would turn gross after a week in water like that. Is there flavoring I can buy or does anyone have any other ideas?

I just put a keg of water in my keezer when i have an open spot. High pressure (35-40psi) with a LONG line to balance it. I haven't tried fruit juice, but I used soda concentrate, mixing it in the glass. I just didn't want to have to replace seals or anything to get rid of soda residue.

Are you aiming for something like La croix that is not sweetened at all. You could try a drop or two of lime oil in the water and see if that gets you were you want to go. It's a pretty strong flavoring, so go easy, and be prepared to change out your o-rings unless you want everything to taste like lime from that keg for a while.

Probably the best way to go would be to try some out in a 2L bottle with a carbonator cap just in case you don't like it and end up having to dump 5 gallons.

I was thinking about the o-rings too. If I had some kind of syrup, oil or flavor concentrate I could have her add it to the glass like you mentioned.

I haven't had La Croix before but yes she would want a non sweetened flavored sparkling water. Basically just water, co2 and fruit flavor. That is why I was thinking of just adding the fruit to it as that is the purest form of the flavor (but like I said, I don't know how it would turn out with fruit sitting in water for weeks).

Edit: what about this stuff from soda stream? http://www.sodastreamusa.com/TasteNutritionMyWater.aspx#mywater

I can make the carbed water and she can add the flavoring to her glass.

I was thinking about the o-rings too. If I had some kind of syrup, oil or flavor concentrate I could have her add it to the glass like you mentioned.

I haven't had La Croix before but yes she would want a non sweetened flavored sparkling water. Basically just water, co2 and fruit flavor. That is why I was thinking of just adding the fruit to it as that is the purest form of the flavor (but like I said, I don't know how it would turn out with fruit sitting in water for weeks).

Edit: what about this stuff from soda stream? http://www.sodastreamusa.com/TasteNutritionMyWater.aspx#mywater

I can make the carbed water and she can add the flavoring to her glass.

Hmm, I'm not crazy about the sodastream soda syrups, but I might need to try out those MyWater things. My wife likes La Croix a lot. Should be easy enough to add to the glass to taste.

Another option is to put fruit in a hop bag and remove it after a few days. The flavor should stay without the gross soggy fruit.

This is an old thread, but wanted to post that OneOnOne Flavors (I think they are primarily sold for e-cigs) but appear to be sold also for making mineral waters or similar. Anybody try those or have a strategy for using those?

Look for pure fruit extracts in alcohol solution at the grocery store. Ive had good luck with lemon and cherry ones. You can make the oil based extracts work by putting a few drops in the bottom of a glass, but I like the batch solution in the keg. Another option is to take the juice and zest of some citrus fruits, pasturize, and strain into a keg.

Latest posts

Back