Hit higher than i planned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomtheflame

Reaction score
I BIABed a beer 2 days ago.

I was aiming 65% to 70% efficency at around 5.5% abv.

Darn i hit 88% at an estimated 6.98%.

Ok this is all good but usually hit the mark stated before and just pitch my wyyeast 1010 smack the pack let it swell 5 hours (estimated time at the start of my brewing to when i primary) and pitch.

2 things went wrong one the over efficiency and the yeast that did not swell. The date was very limit to 6 months and i only do has it says on the pack smack the pack let it swell and no starter. I am now in my 48 hours since i pitched and no bubbling.

Here are my 2 questions
1 - I have a dry safale s-05 should i pitch that in, since I seem to have a not strong enough yeast and over efficency.
2 - any ideas of what it will look like in a month since i think to leave it in a bit longer to have max yeast action.

thank you for your help

Forty-eight hours may not be enough time. I have had some take awhile to get started. Wait a week and take a gravity reading before adding more yeast. If you notice that you overshot gravity, you can add water before adding the yeast. I like to increase boil volume if I catch it early. If I don't catch it pre-boil, I top off fermenter before pitching yeast. Beer Smith has a dilution tool that can help you with volumes.

I just read your questions. One of my beers was supposed to be a Two-Hearted Clone. I overshot gravity making an Imperial Two Hearted Clone. After it aged, it was one of my favorites. There is no way of knowing what you'll end up with in a month. It will be beer. Higher gravity may take more time to reach peak flavor.

I just read your questions. One of my beers was supposed to be a Two-Hearted Clone. I overshot gravity making an Imperial Two Hearted Clone. After it aged, it was one of my favorites. There is no way of knowing what you'll end up with in a month. It will be beer. Higher gravity may take more time to reach peak flavor.

Ok its bubbling

So higher gravity i should leave it in the primary a month to get a better beer?

well just secondary tonight and abv reading gimme 84 percent attenuation for 7.08% beer too bad for a light summer beer at 5.5%

gonna retry with less grain and the right amount of yeast

Back