Flat beer - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violentlyill

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a beginners kit, it came with a IPA. I've followed all the instructions. Apparently once the wort was transferred to the pressure barrel, it needed about 2 weeks at room temp then move then barrel to a cool place to 'clear'. It's now about a week in a cool place, i moved it straight to the fridge.

My issue now is the beer seems completely flat with only a week left (i think). It doesn't taste or smell bad at all, quite nice.

I'm concerned my room temperature was far too cold and probably sat at 16-17 celcius. Maybe has fermented properly? Or carbonated due to dorment yeast? I'm still learning all the termonology but this is where i'm at.

As you can see from my picture there appears to be some white substance at the bottom of the first glass pulled.

Also it's worth noting, i added my hops in a muslin cloth into the pressure barrel as my kit never noted using them in the wort (doh). I read this is dry hopping? What can i expect from this outcome? Should i be concerned its in there too long?

I kept everything completely sterilised throughout.

Also, i've just ordered a brew heat pad in prep for the next brew as i'm concerned temperature is my problem.

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!

Kyle
IMG-20190320-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20190319-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20190313-WA0000.jpeg

The only way to be sure the beer fully fermented is to check the gravity with a hydrometer. Do you have one? If the beer is slightly carbonated, you’ll have to degas it and allow it to come to room temp for an accurate reading.

It is possible that for the beer to naturally carbonate, which is what that barrel device appears to provide, that you would need a little longer at room temp. Not sure how that barrel keeps the pressure from getting too high, as I don’t see a spunding or blow-off/pressure-release valve. You likely have to manually pressurize it with co2 at some point would be my guess.

I'm not familiar with this equipment but....
It is likely fully fermented. Assuming you let it ferment long enough.

You just need to carbonate it which leaving it in the room temp portion was intended to do. Probably just needed more time at room temp. That should be 70+f. 2-3 weeks is typical at that temp.

One question comes to mind though, did you add any additional sugar following the fermentation period when you moved it to room temp (that was too cold)? If not that could be the problem. The yeast needed more sugar to consume in order to carbonate. They had already consumed the available sugars from the wort.

The sediment in your glass is just yeast that settled in the barrel that made it through the spout. You may get some early on. It should diminish after the first few pours unless you disturb it with movement.

I'm not familiar with this equipment but....
It is likely fully fermented. Assuming you let it ferment long enough.

You just need to carbonate it which leaving it in the room temp portion was intended to do. Probably just needed more time at room temp. That should be 70+f. 2-3 weeks is typical at that temp.

One question comes to mind though, did you add any additional sugar following the fermentation period when you moved it to room temp (that was too cold)? If not that could be the problem. The yeast needed more sugar to consume in order to carbonate. They had already consumed the available sugars from the wort.

The sediment in your glass is just yeast that settled in the barrel that made it through the spout. You may get some early on. It should diminish after the first few pours unless you disturb it with movement.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond!

I think i have been a bit generous with time so it should be fermented ok. I let it ferment for just over two weeks.

Yeah mate, i added a priming sugar to the pressure barrel when i transferred the wort in. I thought that this would carbonate it, but i was concerned the temperature was too low for the carbonation to work properly?

I am yet to add the Co2 bulb. Does all of the carbonation come from this? How long does this need to be on befoe consuming?

I assume some also comes naturally from the sugar, is it possible to completely carbonate from sugar? Apologies for all the questions.

Thanks for clearing that up about the yeast sediment.

The only way to be sure the beer fully fermented is to check the gravity with a hydrometer. Do you have one? If the beer is slightly carbonated, you’ll have to degas it and allow it to come to room temp for an accurate reading.

It is possible that for the beer to naturally carbonate, which is what that barrel device appears to provide, that you would need a little longer at room temp. Not sure how that barrel keeps the pressure from getting too high, as I don’t see a spunding or blow-off/pressure-release valve. You likely have to manually pressurize it with co2 at some point would be my guess.

Thanks for the response! :)

I checked the gravity reading before i transferred it over to the barrel, my kit guide suggested it was the correct time. Should i take one of these again?

I don't think the barrel is blowing off any pressure, that cap is to attached a bulb. I assumed i wouldn't want it to blow off pressure as i'm trying to carbonate the beer? I was planning on adding a Co2 bulb right before drinking, hopefully this will just solve everything for me.

When priming sugar is used with bottles, they should be held near 72°F for 2-3 weeks to allow the yeast to wake up from primary fermentation, eat the priming sugar, create more CO2 plus a tiny bit of alcohol, and since the bottles are capped it captures the CO2 instead of allowing it to bubble out through an airlock. Having said that, and not knowing this equipment, it *SOUNDS* like you put the capped beer cold with priming sugar, which is going to make yeast want to stay dormant rather than wake up and eat the priming sugar. I would suggest warming it, if indeed the barrel device is now capturing the CO2 and not allowing it to outgas, because you want it captured under pressure to carbonate the beer. I have no idea what the CO2 bulb is for, since I see a spigot for gravity feed so you don't need CO2 to push it from the bottom of a keg, which is what I'm used to seeing.

The small CO2 bulb is intended to maintain pressure and to push the beer when serving. All the carbonation should be produced naturally by the yeast and added sugar. It just needs more time in a warm room to do that. Usually 2-3 weeks at 72+f to complete.

I suppose you could force carb with the bulbs but it would likely take an entire bulb or more to do that.

The problem is time and temperature. It takes about 3 weeks at about 70 degrees F. At your temperatures it will take longer. Warm it up if you can.

We don't use those pressure barrels in the US and others have mistaken it for a fermentation vessel.

The small co2 canister I assume is just for keeping co2 pressure as the beer is drawn out of the vessel.

The problem is time and temperature. It takes about 3 weeks at about 70 degrees F. At your temperatures it will take longer. Warm it up if you can.

We don't use those pressure barrels in the US and others have mistaken it for a fermentation vessel.

The small co2 canister I assume is just for keeping co2 pressure as the beer is drawn out of the vessel.

ok awesome, thanks man! i've just ordered a heatmat which will maintain correct temperature. Should there be any concern about me removin the brew from the fridge, letting it get to room temperature naturally then setting it on the heat pad for a while. I'd say overall this beer has been brewing for quite some time. How long do you think it would roughly need on the heat pad? thanks for the reply dude!

When priming sugar is used with bottles, they should be held near 72°F for 2-3 weeks to allow the yeast to wake up from primary fermentation, eat the priming sugar, create more CO2 plus a tiny bit of alcohol, and since the bottles are capped it captures the CO2 instead of allowing it to bubble out through an airlock. Having said that, and not knowing this equipment, it *SOUNDS* like you put the capped beer cold with priming sugar, which is going to make yeast want to stay dormant rather than wake up and eat the priming sugar. I would suggest warming it, if indeed the barrel device is now capturing the CO2 and not allowing it to outgas, because you want it captured under pressure to carbonate the beer. I have no idea what the CO2 bulb is for, since I see a spigot for gravity feed so you don't need CO2 to push it from the bottom of a keg, which is what I'm used to seeing.

amazing response, this really cleared things up for me. thanks dude!

My beer is well carbonized after 5 days in bottles, but at room temperature. The carbonization temperature should be higher than the fermentation temperature.
Next, what's important is that this barrel must be 100% sealed. If it is a little leaking, all CO2 will go out and no carbonization. Try stretch foil to wrap the lid.

ah amazing mate i read this comment just on time! the barrel was slightly leaking out the top. which i'm assuming means the carbonation has now started as i have just removed it from the fridge to place in a warmer room, it also has a heatpad under it now :) I'm thinking as this has already been fermenting for so long, it should only need a week then i'll move it back to the fridge where it can finish 'clearing'. Wish me luck!

Hey guys,

Got a beginners kit, it came with a IPA. I've followed all the instructions. Apparently once the wort was transferred to the pressure barrel, it needed about 2 weeks at room temp then move then barrel to a cool place to 'clear'. It's now about a week in a cool place, i moved it straight to the fridge.

My issue now is the beer seems completely flat with only a week left (i think). It doesn't taste or smell bad at all, quite nice.

I'm concerned my room temperature was far too cold and probably sat at 16-17 celcius. Maybe has fermented properly? Or carbonated due to dorment yeast? I'm still learning all the termonology but this is where i'm at.

As you can see from my picture there appears to be some white substance at the bottom of the first glass pulled.

Also it's worth noting, i added my hops in a muslin cloth into the pressure barrel as my kit never noted using them in the wort (doh). I read this is dry hopping? What can i expect from this outcome? Should i be concerned its in there too long?

I kept everything completely sterilised throughout.

Also, i've just ordered a brew heat pad in prep for the next brew as i'm concerned temperature is my problem.

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!

KyleView attachment 619007View attachment 619008View attachment 619009
if it needed 2 weeks , why did you move it in only one week? My guess is its not done carbonating.

if it needed 2 weeks , why did you move it in only one week? My guess is its not done carbonating.
Sorry man let me clear that up, it was at room temperature for two weeks, then a slightly cooler temp for a week before being moved to the fridge to clear.

Yeah you're right it wasn't done carbonating, in fact i think it barely started as it was at 16c, i couldntget it to warm up, but i have a heat mat now and it's back out of the fridge ready for a week or so to carbonate (again).

If you can't seal that leak the CO2 will escape rather than being forced into the liquid (beer).

I failed to mention. I managed to get it screwed on a bit tighter round and it's completely stopped :)

I'm concerned this is what has happened first time round, hopefully it's recovered!

thanks dude

it also has a heatpad under it now

I use a seedling warming pad to heat my fermenter when needed. I wrote to the manufacturer about setting the fermenter on it. They said it's not recommended, but didn't say exactly why. I imagine they feel there might be a fire hazard from the heat being trapped like that. I don't know if yours is similar - just passing along what I found.

I have heard warnings from mats before about not putting things on them that are not flat. Something with edges might push the interior wires around a bit, possibly shorting, possibly cracking the itty bitty small diameter thermal bits.

Well, okay, I didn't exactly hear from the mats; I heard from the manufacturers.

Beers still flat after all that guys. The carbonation must have escaped with the lid not being air tight. I've read a little bit about re carbonating. The beer tastes and smells great but without the carbonation it's like a weird jungle juice.

I'm not quite sure on how much priming sugar to add for this process if anyone can offer some help. It's still in the pressure barrell and i'll be extra safe not to contaminate it.

Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back