Fitting brushes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_wookie

Reaction score
I'm reading up on building a CFC, based on the one found at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_a_Counter_Flow_Chiller. All the necessities are crystal clear, but it assumes experience in soldering pipe. I've seen plenty on This Old House and whatnot, but I haven't a clue about the brushes.:confused:

The materials list includes a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer coupler. 1/2" fitting brushes are abundant, but anything smaller takes a little more looking. Can I just jam a 1/2" brush into 1/4" fitting without bending the brush to crap? Or are the bristles rigid enough that you need a different brush for almost every diameter?

Thanks

I don't think you'll have much luck with a 1/2" brush in a 1/4" fitting. I only have 1/2" and 3/4" brushes in my plumbing kit since 90% of the soldering I do is those two sizes. I use a rolled up piece of plumbers emery cloth to clean the inside of other sizes of fittings. I always have it on hand since that's what I use to clean the male pieces.

Back