First timer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobjack

Reaction score
Well I bought my kit and am currently brewing my first brew a New England IPA. Hoping it goes well. Totally enjoying the process thus far. I’m hoping to make a smore stout soon so I can have it ready for Christmas. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Well I bought my kit and am currently brewing my first brew a New England IPA. Hoping it goes well. Totally enjoying the process thus far. I’m hoping to make a smore stout soon so I can have it ready for Christmas. Any recommendations or suggestions?
Welcome to the obsession. :ghostly:

I hope your looking to make a stout for Christmas 2020, your likely a month or so to late for this year. I would suggest that you be very patient, and keep a close eye on fermentation temps of your NEIPA. Keep it dark and on the cooler end of what ever yeast you are using. Let it ferment out and give it a week or so more before packaging. Good luck.

+1 on a stout not being ready in 30 days. Your audience will be impressed with any decent beer you can produce in, relatively, such a short time.
Totally cool that you're enjoying it. I totally know the feeling.
Suggestions? If you want an additional beer, a nice wheat beer or the like can be ready by that time.

+1 on a stout not being ready in 30 days. Your audience will be impressed with any decent beer you can produce in, relatively, such a short time.
Totally cool that you're enjoying it. I totally know the feeling.
Suggestions? If you want an additional beer, a nice wheat beer or the like can be ready by that time.

Thanks I have the NEIPA that should be ready. I plan on legging it all so that should save some time [emoji51]

Welcome to the obsession. :ghostly:

I hope your looking to make a stout for Christmas 2020, your likely a month or so to late for this year. I would suggest that you be very patient, and keep a close eye on fermentation temps of your NEIPA. Keep it dark and on the cooler end of what ever yeast you are using. Let it ferment out and give it a week or so more before packaging. Good luck.

Thanks I knew I would be pushing it dang!!! I guess it will be the NEIPA then lol. I plan on legging everything so that should buy me some time [emoji51]

Do you recommend 4 weeks total in the original fermenter?

For an NEIPA - NO. Get it kegged as soon as you can after you hit FG. Take a gravity reading a day or two after you don't see any activity. The take another one 2 days later, if the numbers are the same - keg it. Avoid oxygen as much as possible. Do a closed transfer if you can. NEIPAs are very susceptible to oxidation. Drink it fresh.

For a stout I would say that you missed the window for Christmas by longer than mentioned so far. I would age a stout at least a couple months.

And welcome. I would suggest less intense recipes until you get your processes down pat. More simple ales would be better.

Welcome to HBT and to the hobby/obsession LOL.

I think a stout (and NEIPA, if you like them) are both great beers for beginning brewers. They are flavorful beers, with a lot going on, so if there are any flaws or off-flavors, they tend not to ruin the beer. That being said, you don't want to do a big imperial stout, probably. But a nice American or Irish Stout, or even a Sweet Stout are all good beers for new brewers, I think.

Back