First time canning soda questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surf707

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope you’re all well. This is my first time posting so bare with me.

So I’m trying to can soda for the first time as well as figuring out the best method to maintain the carbonation integrity. To start, I read that 35-39° F is an ideal temperature to can soda; This temp makes sure it will be well carbonated throughout its shelf life. I have a cannular semi auto canner along with 11.1 fl oz cans.

To get to the root of the problem, I’m trying to see if a soda gun with a chiller would be a better option than a 2 Flavor counter electric soda fountain with a 33-34° water bath. My goal is to reach that ideal temp range and can immediately. I was told the water bath wouldn’t be well suited for continuous use (ideally I’d like to fill and can 4 cans in a minute). Another option would be a cold plate (but the customer service rep said they shoot to get sub 40° but thats not guaranteed).

I envision filling the can in one of those two ways listed along with a counter pressure canning tool

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙏🏻

Back