First time Brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm doing a "non boil", South African Pineapple-Raisin Ale. I've had it in 1st Fermentation now for 7 days.
It seems to still be bubbling strong!
I've been able to keep the Fermentation temp at 72-73°, by replacing a refridgerated wet towel, wrapped around the Ferm Bucket. I don't have a temp controller unit and dedicated Fridge yet, but will get these soon! I'm wondering when I should transfer this into a secondary Fermentation bucket?
My OG reading was 1.070.
Do I wait until the bubbling stops or by a certain Hydrometer reading?
Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!
Rock

Are you planning on adding anything else like fruit or something? If not, then there is no reason to transfer. If you are adding something else, I would transfer when it's closer to being complete. This would be determined by checking with a hydrometer.

That being said, if I'm adding fruit that will just be in there for a few days and not aged for a long time, I don't even bother transferring that either. I just toss the fruit in the primary.

I'm not gonna add anymore fruit.
It's just the pineapple and raisins.
With 5 cups white sugar and a packet of Ale Yeast. I've got an OG reading of 1.070. Is there a certain Final Gravity reading I should be looking for before racking it to bottles? Since I'm using an Ale Yeast, should I wait until the 10th day to take another reading or no?

Sorry, I also added 6 liters of lukewarm water for the yeast to start.
I shoukd have between 2-1/2 to 3 gals in the Fermenter.

Yeah 10th day is good. Take another one on day 14 and if it hasn't changed, then you can package it.

Wait until it stops bubbling. It may be 5 days, maybe 10, maybe longer.
Once you get a reading, seal it back up and check in a couple more days. If the readings are the same, you're ready for bottling.
Edit: Just reread the OP, you're already at 7 days, so just let it keep going.
Also, unless you are using malted barley, technically you're not brewing an ale, even if you are using that yeast - you're making a wine (I forget the technical term for it..)

Wait until it stops bubbling. It may be 5 days, maybe 10, maybe longer.
Once you get a reading, seal it back up and check in a couple more days. If the readings are the same, you're ready for bottling.
Edit: Just reread the OP, you're already at 7 days, so just let it keep going.
Also, unless you are using malted barley, technically you're not brewing an ale, even if you are using that yeast - you're making a wine (I forget the technical term for it..)
OK, good to know!
Is there any chance that because I don't have this bucket in a controlled temp of 60 - 68°, but have had it at a constant 72-73°, that the Yeast may go into autolysis or start making Methanol?
Also, what are your thouhgts on using Mr. BEER plastic bottles for this?
It'll be their first use. I've been told a bunch of different stories, but they are supposed to be rated for fermenting pressure? Sorry for the million questions, but I really want to be able to do this right!
Your thoughts, please!
Cheers!

OK, good to know!
Is there any chance that because I don't have this bucket in a controlled temp of 60 - 68°, but have had it at a constant 72-73°, that the Yeast may go into autolysis or start making Methanol?
Also, what are your thouhgts on using Mr. BEER plastic bottles for this?
It'll be their first use. I've been told a bunch of different stories, but they are supposed to be rated for fermenting pressure? Sorry for the million questions, but I really want to be able to do this right!
Your thoughts, please!
Cheers!
No and No.
Autolysis is basically the yeast dying and decaying (not quite, but for all intents and purposes.)
It's not really something we have to worry about on homebrew scale - it's mostly something that will happen in huge commercial fermenters.
Same with Methanol- it's not something to worry about at this point.
As far as Mr Beer bottles, go ahead, as long as they're clean and sanitary.
They are rated for conditioned pressure - many people use them with no problems.
Are you planning on carbonating your brew? Just make sure you don't put too much sugar in.

Thank you!
I was thinking about trying to carbonate?
What do you think would be a safe priming amount? 1 teaspoon or less?

Thank you!
I was thinking about trying to carbonate?
What do you think would be a safe priming amount? 1 teaspoon or less?
There's no one answer to that. Are you meaning a teaspoon per bottle? That's a pretty inexact method to carbonation / priming - it's better to dissolve the priming sugar into a small amount of water, then mix thoroughly into the brew.
The next question is how much did you make? Is this 5 gallons? More? Less?
It Also depends on the level of carbonation you're looking for - sigh, low, somewhere in between...

Ok. The volume of liquid should between 2-1/2 to 3 gals? I started out with 6 liters of water so? And I was thinking of slightely carbonating the liquid?
Sorry, I'm new to this, but I thought I read that there was sugar tablet or some type of primer that you added to each bottle before you filled it? So with this info, for this amount of carbonation for this amount od liquid, what would be a good amount of priming and water?
And so, do I try to use all of the mix evenly through out the 8 plastic bottles?
Again, thank you for your patience and time, in answering my million questions!?
Cheers!
🍺😎

Back