First soda experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
I figured this would be fun with the kids. Picked up a rainbow rootbeer concentrate and started a 1 gallon test batch today.

Got a jug of spring water sanitized some old 2 liter bottles and a nalgene bottle spoons ect.

Mixed the sugars and the yeast in the small bottle. Added the concentrate to the water jug. Mixed it all in the jug siphoned to the bottles and capped.

They were disappointed they have to wait lol. At least they have fun squeezing the bottles to check for carbonation.

I was doubtful at first after reading about funny tastes and carb issues but hey there are allot more that work great that never post I'm sure.

Splenda for sweetening for the first batch and 5 to 6 tbs of sugar for the champagne yeast to eat. I stuck to the directions the first time.

Well the bottles are just about rock hard now. Tomorrow morning I will give them another squeeze and most likely refrigerate.

Well they never quite got rock hard or carbed. Today I cracked them open and their just like flat rootbeer, I added a 1/4 cup sugar to each and shook a bit I can see bubbles and their hardening up again. I think I was to stingy on the sugar even though I stuck to the included recipe. If I can't save this one I'll try again. But on the bright side no funky flavors.

Surprising. Try doing a bottle of water without the extract and see the amount of time to carb.

Good idea, cheaper by far than trying with the extract. I'll grab some better 2 liters as well these are the super thin ones, maybe the caps leaked.

Latest posts

Back