First Schwarzbier Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMur

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've had a quick look and couldn't find anything that answers my question. So as the title states I'm in the process of making my first Schwarzbier with WLP920 (old Bavarian lager), currently ramping up the temp for D rest.

My question is does a Schwarzbier require an extended lagering period due to the specialty malts (carafa iii and chocolate in this case) similar to how a stout needs additional time so as to not taste "green", or would a basic lagering period of about 3-4 weeks work like the light lager I've done?

From what I understand, lager yeasts tend to put more emphasis on the malts.

Thanks
Dave

I'd think you'd be ok with 3-4 weeks.

I do a sort-of Schwarzbier in which i use WLP940, Mexican Lager yeast. I also use an accelerated fermentation schedule. Four weeks is enough for this, and 3 weeks is usually quite drinkable.

I'd think you'd be ok with 3-4 weeks.

I do a sort-of Schwarzbier in which i use WLP940, Mexican Lager yeast. I also use an accelerated fermentation schedule. Four weeks is enough for this, and 3 weeks is usually quite drinkable.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick to a 3 week schedule then and see it tastes alright. Was thinking of doing an Oktoberfest with the slurry aswell since we're heading for March and let that lager through.

It depends on your fermentation schedule.
A more traditional German approach is to ferment fairly cool, and slowly drop the temperature towards the end of fermentation (with some gravity points remaining) to lagering temps. The yeast keeps working slowly at about freezing temperatures to finish off and clean up. You need a quite long lagering period for this (months).
With a more 'modern' approach, including a d-rest and finishing the ferment at warmer temperatures, the lagering period doesn't need to be as long. Three to four weeks is normally plenty. IME lagers done with this fast method are good with two weeks of lagering, but are better with a month or more.

Latest posts

Back