First recipes generated - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sounddoc

Reaction score
Apologies if this is not the right place or way to do this - I looked for rules, but maybe not hard enough?

Anyway, I created a couple recipes and wanted to get opinions - the first is a best bitter, loosely based on ingredients I already have, and the second is an oatmeal stout - both british beers. They match the style guidelines on brewer's friend, so I think I'm off to a good start.

Thanks, and feel free to lambast me if I'm breaking any rules here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/901024/the-first-go

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/901634/stoutish

I'm not so sure wheat is traditional in a stout. I certainly wouldn't use it in mine but by all means give it a try. Everything else looks fine. I might use the higher AA hops as bittering hops (not that a stout should have much hop bitterness) and move the EK Golding to the flavor/aroma additions. English brewers did that a lot with American hops... they didn't fancy the flavor of them so they used them for bittering only.

Midnight wheat gives you black without the beef.
You might try chocolate malt instead, which will give you a fuller stout.

Thanks! I haven't bought the ingredients yet, so I'll tinker a bit with these suggestions. Much appreciated!

On the bitter, I would substitute a specialty malt for the Golden Promise. Golden Promise is a base malt and would just get lost in the flavor of the Maris Otter.
Maybe a little Special B. That is one I really like.
I would also bitter with the Magnum and move the Fuggle 60 minute addition toward a late addition. Less than 30 minutes.

For the Stout, I too would substitute chocolate or brown or both for the midnight wheat. I would also use a little more dark malts. Not too much though.
I would bitter with the Chinook and move the East Kent Goldings to the 5 minute mark. Adjust amounts for IBU.
Mash the stout at about 154 for more mouthfeel.

I make starters whenever I use liquid yeast. You never know how the yeast was handled before you get it.

So, the reason for the Golden promise and for the Midnight Wheat are leftovers! I may switch out the wheat in the stout, but the golden promise is really just filler to use up. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with using up leftovers, or even using 2 base grains. I do it often. I use 2 row and Maris Otter together often. I split fairly evenly for two reasons. I get more flavor from the Maris Otter than just 2 row, and by using the 2 row I keep the cost down a little.

But when I am looking for flavor from a base malt and I am not trying to save a little money I will for instance; go all Maris Otter for a British style or all Golden Promise for a Scottish ale. etc.

It really depends on what I am brewing. One of my best beers ever was using leftovers - a brown ale. I have mimicked it several times, then I had to go back and do it the way I did when using up the leftovers.

Latest posts

Back