first partial mash brew. Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
NB Kolsch extract kit plus a few little orphan malts- Rahr 2 row 11oz, Weyermann Pilsner 8 oz, and Best Light Munich 6 oz.
Mashed the grains at 149 for 60 mins. sparged out extra wort to almost 5 gallons before starting the boil . I didnt want to just add cold water into the carboy as per kit instructions without it being at least pasteurized first. At the onset of boil I added 1/2 oz German Herkules ,15 minutes into boil I added the kits Briess pilsen light DME 1lb, 30 mins in added 1 oz German Hersbrucker, and at 15 mins added both 1/2 oz German Spalt and the 6 lbs Pilsen malt extract syrup. added 2 gallons to make 7 1/2 gallons . OG was still 1.052 . The kit alone I was expected to hit 1.047 so I think It'll be good. I hope it will be good. When I went to clean up I noticed the bottom of my kettle was burnt a little , Im guessing when I put the syrup (yes , I stirred while doing so) in it hit bottom and it stuck and burned a little. I'll see how this goes. Its in the 6 gallon glass carboy.
I was planning a repitch of K97,what I used for my Oktoberfest, even though the kit came with US-05. Its still at 87*F so I'll most likely pitch tomorrow morning.

I did a kolsch kit from Brewersbest . Turned out pretty good . The next one I brew will be AG . Did all those hops come with the kit or did you get them seperate ?

Yours will probably be lighter by adding extract late. Mine was too dark for a kolsch. This was before I learned about adding the LME later in the boil.

at 15 mins added both 1/2 oz German Spalt and the 6 lbs Pilsen malt extract syrup.
When I went to clean up I noticed the bottom of my kettle was burnt a little , Im guessing when I put the syrup (yes , I stirred while doing so) in it hit bottom and it stuck and burned a little. I'll see how this goes.
Extract doesn't need to be boiled, you can add it at flameout if you want to.
Note that hop IBU's will vary depending on gravity of the wort its boiled in so if you add the LME at the end you may have to adjust your hops. A Kolsch doesn't usually have much hops added, so it probably doesn't matter.
If you want to boil the LME or just follow a specific recipe, turn off the heat, add the extract, stir it in then turn the heat back on.

Extract doesn't need to be boiled, you can add it at flameout if you want to.
Note that hop IBU's will vary depending on gravity of the wort its boiled in so if you add the LME at the end you may have to adjust your hops. A Kolsch doesn't usually have much hops added, so it probably doesn't matter.
If you want to boil the LME or just follow a specific recipe, turn off the heat, add the extract, stir it in then turn the heat back on.
Yes, I know that . I was combining my usual AG and the extract instruction because, well, I dont do extracts . Im used to the whole schedule with AG brewing. It probably wont happen again and if so , it'll be rare.

I did a kolsch kit from Brewersbest . Turned out pretty good . The next one I brew will be AG . Did all those hops come with the kit or did you get them seperate ?

Yours will probably be lighter by adding extract late. Mine was too dark for a kolsch. This was before I learned about adding the LME later in the boil.
no,not all of them anyway. I had bought most of them or I think someone on here a couple years ago just wanted to get rid of them,might have been getting out of brewing. I was the lucky first responder. I still have maybe 8 or 9 left out of the box of nearly 20 - 1 oz packets. Citra and Mosaic, Australian Wakatu and German Herkules. I sometimes stockpile hops if Im at a HBS just to have some on hand. All vacuum sealed up and in the bottom drawer of my beer fridge.

Yesterday I couldnt decide on K-97 (Oktoberfest repitch) or US-05 (dry), same 81% attenuation, slightly different flavor profiles but either one could work , so I pitched both. I pitched at 6:30 am yesterday. Had a light creamy kraeusen working at 3:30pm. This morning, I could hear it before I got down the stairs, chugging like the little engine that could. Love that sound.
Maybe its a yeast battle...cant wait to get a Viking yeast...lol.

Tried the first one just a few minutes ago...im saddened to say i might have a dumper. Bandaid taste.
Im thinking that the water was too high of chlorine content and the fermentation temperature was too high.
I need a water filter before I go on. I can't let this happen again. 6 gallons

Tried the first one just a few minutes ago...im saddened to say i might have a dumper. Bandaid taste.
Im thinking that the water was too high of chlorine content and the fermentation temperature was too high.
I need a water filter before I go on. I can't let this happen again. 6 gallons

Campden tablets take the chlorine out. You don't have to get an expensive water filter and you don't have to wait to get it installed. You need 1/4 of a Campden tablet for 5 gallons of water, crushed well. Drop in the powder and stir and you are ready to brew.

http://www.ritebrew.com/SearchResul...&Search=campden+tablets&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

Dang that's a good price !
Whats a normal price ??

By the way , I think I'm going to try something to make this blunder possibly drinkable...since its 6 gallons ( -2 12 oz'ers)around 5% abv and its like all barley except for the tiny bit of hops...I'm going to run it through my still and see what comes out the other end. I should get the runnings for scotch. everyone cross your fingers.

I did a kolsch kit from Brewersbest . Turned out pretty good . The next one I brew will be AG . Did all those hops come with the kit or did you get them separate ?

I had to go back and reply to this...it was most definitely not the right color...too dark almost like the dark end of a Maerzen or into an Amber. Kolsch should be a light straw color .

I had to go back and reply to this...it was most definitely not the right color...too dark almost like the dark end of a Maerzen or into an Amber. Kolsch should be a light straw color .

Yeah I'm pretty much done with kits . All grain your color would be the way it's supposed to be .

Yeah I'm pretty much done with kits . All grain your color would be the way it's supposed to be .
well, like I had said earlier in the year. I had it sitting in the amazon basket a couple weeks and before I realized it was an extract kit , my wife went ahead and ordered it for me. Live and learn.

If it was drinkable and tasty ,I would say you are correct.
what I have is either drain cleaner or an experiment to be conducted later.

Oh shoot that's right , you said a water issue . I'm thinking I may have a dumper . Made a pumpkin ale that went from 58 to 03 . High alchoholy taste .

Campden tablets take the chlorine out. You don't have to get an expensive water filter and you don't have to wait to get it installed. You need 1/4 of a Campden tablet for 5 gallons of water, crushed well. Drop in the powder and stir and you are ready to brew.

http://www.ritebrew.com/SearchResul...&Search=campden+tablets&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0
tablets came yesterday...thinking of brewing today .
Leaning towards the blackberry hibiscus lime kettle sour since its still warm (mid to high 90s) but going to cool off around the weekend(low 80s) This way the souring can do its thing and I can boil and start the ferment right around Saturday.
Do I add the campden to hot water or cold or does it matter?

Oh shoot that's right , you said a water issue . I'm thinking I may have a dumper . Made a pumpkin ale that went from 58 to 03 . High alchoholy taste .
I had my American Honey Brown taste like that...I still think it was up in the low 8%s .
It packs a punch .

I'm not sure it matters . I add all my additives in room temp water to dissolve.
Brew stated a couple posts ago in progress now.
Ill post up a new thread with recipe once i know the details.

Latest posts

Back