first kveik brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i recently ordered some voss and hornindal kveik and i plan to use the hornindal in my neipas and i have yet to use this yeast, i got both from omega. before i do a big neipa batch i want to use the voss in something simple to act as a crash course so im thinking of doing a kolsch and pitching it in that, i do 15gal batches. is there anything different i need to do as far as starters go? fermentation should be at 80* to 90*? i am looking to do a quick turn around on this so after ferm is done ill cool it down like day 3? i have a tilt to verify its done. cold crash day 5 or 6 and keg day 7 or 8? does this sound right? i know there will be some variable but just curious what to expect from this yeast. any input is appreciated.

I suggest 90-95°F fermentation temperature. Do not cool it down until fermentation is complete.

Add nutrients to the starter, 1-2g/L of Fermaid O for example. Nutrients should also be added to wort.

I under pitch Voss intentionally, always - 1 spoon full from my yeast ranch, no starter. You can run in the 90s+ to get some wild fruit flavors. Go heavy on the nuets as RPh says.

Oddly, I use Voss mostly in the low 70s for IPAs and its pretty clean/fast.

I also blend Voss with WLP670 for my White IPA - scored 38.5 and placed this year.

I under pitch Voss intentionally, always - 1 spoon full from my yeast ranch, no starter. You can run in the 90s+ to get some wild fruit flavors. Go heavy on the nuets as RPh says.

Oddly, I use Voss mostly in the low 70s for IPAs and its pretty clean/fast.

I also blend Voss with WLP670 for my White IPA - scored 38.5 and placed this year.
good to know, i built a starter last night and it climbed right out of the flask, i did a much smaller starter then normal, only 1000ml. so ill just harvest some for storage and underpitch that way. am i correct in saying you do 1 spoon full in a 5 gallon batch? so if i do something along the lines of 3 spoons for my 15 gal batch i should be good?

should I do the starter 2 or 3 days ahead or does it require less time?
Sorry I didn't see your edit.

I have a stir plate and I exclusively make "vitality starters", so they spin only about 4-6 hours (for all yeast). Voss can be pitched without a starter, but I favor using one to reduce lag time.

good to know, i built a starter last night and it climbed right out of the flask, i did a much smaller starter then normal, only 1000ml. so ill just harvest some for storage and underpitch that way. am i correct in saying you do 1 spoon full in a 5 gallon batch? so if i do something along the lines of 3 spoons for my 15 gal batch i should be good?

I do 3 gallons due to kettle size and I use a normal tea spoon - 1 scoop. when I scoop it out of the jar, its about half full.

I would take half your starter and use that for 15g. Then take the rest and build up to a full starter again. Then place in fridge once done, crash and decant. you can store that in a sanitized mason jar in your fridge. I scoop using a sanitized spoon.

If youre going to store, keep the yeast on the starter beer in the Jar. I crack the lid as Voss will eat all the O2 and anything else. it will pressurize the jar.

Edit - my voss is 1.5y old stored in this state - when I run low, I put a scoop in a starter, crash and decant, drain the liquid from the old starter and pour over the other generation. I estimate I probably have 4-5 generations running around in my voss jar - each scoop probably contains 4-5 generations when i pitch

ok, sounds like ill have to change up my normal harvest for this yeast but no big deal there. i harvest and store my yeast in 50ml centrifuge tubes as they dont take up much room in the beer fridge and organization is simple. depending on the yeast i usually fill 2 or 3 tubes, so i could do that and just not tighten my lids. or i have plenty of mason jars so i could use that as well. thanks for that info, i would have screwed the lids tight and been in for a surprise. haha

ok, sounds like ill have to change up my normal harvest for this yeast but no big deal there. i harvest and store my yeast in 50ml centrifuge tubes as they dont take up much room in the beer fridge and organization is simple. depending on the yeast i usually fill 2 or 3 tubes, so i could do that and just not tighten my lids. or i have plenty of mason jars so i could use that as well. thanks for that info, i would have screwed the lids tight and been in for a surprise. haha

please do not share your smaller more compact yeast storage method with my significant other... i would lose my stranglehold over the top shelf of the fridge...

the key is i have an entire fridge just for brewery. freezer is packed with hops, fridge houses full kegs and bottles and cans, beer only. period. and yeast of course, its a happy fridge. :cask: that is in the brewery, i also have a 4 tap keezer i built in my kitchen. my fiance loves craft beer. i am pretty sure most of my electric bill is powering my multiple fridge and freezers. sad part is i could use another one.

cheers!

to update, brew day went smoothly. hit my target OG dead on. signs of fermentation within 4 hours and was chugging hard by the next morning. according to my tilt it was at 1.015 this morning and my FG should be 1.011 so i imagine when i get home this afternoon it should be there. it has been at 90* and i think ill leave the heat on overnight to verify fermentation has completed. seems this yeast is living up to what ive read so far, excited for the final result.

Newbie question about Kveik and starters. Planning to brew with OYL-091 soon and I was thinking about making a starter so I can repitch in the future. I'm little bit confused about the Kveik pitch amount though. I understood that when I'm brewing a 5-6gal batch I could pitch the whole OYL-091 pack in. On the other hand I've read that if you make a starter you could pitch one teaspoon of Kveik yeast like somebody mentioned already in this thread. So for example if I make 1000ml starter with OYL-091 how many 5-6gal batches I can ferment with that starter yeast amount and what is the correct amount to pitch, one teaspoon?

Newbie question about Kveik and starters. Planning to brew with OYL-091 soon and I was thinking about making a starter so I can repitch in the future. I'm little bit confused about the Kveik pitch amount though. I understood that when I'm brewing a 5-6gal batch I could pitch the whole OYL-091 pack in. On the other hand I've read that if you make a starter you could pitch one teaspoon of Kveik yeast like somebody mentioned already in this thread. So for example if I make 1000ml starter with OYL-091 how many 5-6gal batches I can ferment with that starter yeast amount and what is the correct amount to pitch, one teaspoon?
Kveik's seem to love to be abused. I pitched 1 gram of dried yeast in 5 gallons. It was so little that I freaked a little when the speck disappeared into the wort. When that batch was done a week later, I put the harvested yeast in the fridge, intending to dry it soon. Time got away from me and 5 months later I pitched a teaspoon of the fridge yeast in 5 gallons. According to calculators, that should have had 0%-1% vitality but it was bubbling away in 4 hours. I hate to say the yeast is foolproof, because I have met some crazy fools, but it is more forgiving than any yeast I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Yeah my experience with Kviek yeasts is that they are about as hardy as it gets and you can severely underpitch with no ramifications. I've given up making 'real' starters for them. My process is at some point pull off 1800ml off a 1.040-1.050 beer I'm making. I'll pitch whatever Kviek I'm wanting to grow into a flask and throw it on a stirplate for a day. From there I won't decant, I just split between 3 pint mason jars and 4 4oz mason jars. I'll throw those in the fridge for whenever I need to use them (some will stay there 6-9+ months). I use the pints for when I'm trying to turn around a hoppy beer quickly, and the 4oz when I'm trying to stress the yeast. When I get down to my last 4oz jar, I start the process over again.

Now that you can get homebrew dry packets of Voss, I'll probably only keep this up with the Hornindal, Stranda, and blends and I'll just pitch a few grams with each packet of Voss when I use that.

Thanks guys for your replies. The method henchman24 is using to collect the Kveik sounds good to me. I was wondering that the amount you're pitching might be too much for my intentions since I would like to underpitch. I have heard that Hornindal when underpitched along with higher ferm temp produces juicy flavors and that's what I'm aiming. Do you guys think that if I'm using the henchman24 method of growing Kveik on a stir plate, and collecting it to mason jars, one teaspoon from that "starter" would be enough for a 5-6gal batch? Sorry to ask you guys stupid questions but I'm newbie with this Kveik thing :)

Thanks guys for your replies. The method henchman24 is using to collect the Kveik sounds good to me. I was wondering that the amount you're pitching might be too much for my intentions since I would like to underpitch. I have heard that Hornindal when underpitched along with higher ferm temp produces juicy flavors and that's what I'm aiming. Do you guys think that if I'm using the henchman24 method of growing Kveik on a stir plate, and collecting it to mason jars, one teaspoon from that "starter" would be enough for a 5-6gal batch? Sorry to ask you guys stupid questions but I'm newbie with this Kveik thing :)
Take a look at this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/drying-kveik-fast-and-easy-method.669196/

Awesome stuff RPh_Guy & bleme . Thank you guys :) Very interesting info in that study especially when I have brewed couple of my previous batches with Vermont yeast and now planning to use Hornindal

Back