First Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buick Beer Gardens

Reaction score
I have one single hop and single malt IPA in the books. I'm pleased with the results even before carbonation.

Hefeweizen in the one gallon fermenter! Hopefully I will not need a blow off tube. I did not need one with the IPA.

IMG_20200118_170633.jpg

Keep an eye on that one, the hefe's can really take off, even with good temp control. What yeast did you use? If WLP300, I would try to keep the temp below 68F until it starts to slow down and then let it ramp up a little. I speak from experience, had a Hefe blow up in our coat closet years ago...there is still yeast on the ceiling...:)

I don't recall what yeast. The temp will drop to 68 degrees where it sits. I just had taken the picture after placing it there. The temp after filling and pitching yeast was 72 degrees. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tips!

Keep an eye on that one, the hefe's can really take off, even with good temp control. What yeast did you use? If WLP300, I would try to keep the temp below 68F until it starts to slow down and then let it ramp up a little. I speak from experience, had a Hefe blow up in our coat closet years ago...there is still yeast on the ceiling...:)

Temp in this part of my basement keeps a consistent 64 degrees. This temp worked well for a Smash IPA. I have read that hefewiezens like 62 degrees. I will roll with what I got!

Temp in this part of my basement keeps a consistent 64 degrees. This temp worked well for a Smash IPA. I have read that hefewiezens like 62 degrees. I will roll with what I got!

Depends on yeast as well. Low 60's and you get clover notes where as upper 60's gives you Banana notes. If I remember I kept mine at 66 which gave it a nice balance but more on Banana side .

Latest posts

Back