First Brew in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Eye Ross

SSG, US Army, Ret
Reaction score
So my firsts brew is in the keg, a Stout extract kit from Williams Brewing....(everyone starts somewhere?)... I will confess to having issues with brew day (Mash and Boil with an error code that took me WAY too long to figure out).

The FG finished out about 13, while the instructions that came with the kit said it should finish at 22. I forgot to get a OG (my fault, in too much of a hurry first time around) so I'm not sure where I started at....but the sample I tasted seems a bit on the "thin" side (if that makes sense).

Tastes like a stout, though, so I'm going to drink it. Better than no beer. Hopefully the IPA at that is fermenting will turn out a bit more like it should.

I have the grains for my next stout - doing grain is my goal. After doing the IPA, I got the hang of using the Mash & Boil, so I think things will work better.

+1 on letting it age a bit. I know stouts benefit from that, but I am over anxious and all.....

I have done 10 extract brews on my M&B and the 11th was an all grain. The 10 extract came all from good to excellent but interestingly my first stout was not bad but the least I liked. It improved a little after couple weeks in Keg but not a lot. On the other hand I did a coffee milk stout later that is at the top two I brewed. The all grain is still fermenting but the process for all grain required me to manually circulate the wort some to keep temps more even top to bottom. I definitely plan to do the recirculate pump mod for my next brew. Otherwise the M&B is a great unit for the price. Love to brew at my basement with little footprint :)

The FG finished out about 13, while the instructions that came with the kit said it should finish at 22. I forgot to get a OG (my fault, in too much of a hurry first time around) so I'm not sure where I started at....but the sample I tasted seems a bit on the "thin" side (if that makes sense).

The estimates for FG are just that, estimates. So your yeast didn't quit when expected. No big deal, give the stout some time and you will find that it gains apparent body. I have sufficient beer in bottles that I can wait for my stouts so I usually don't open one until it has been in the bottle for 6 months and it still improves from then on.

Back