First all grain brew in anvil foundry 10.5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezwald101

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
So doing my first all grain brew in a new Anvil foundry 10.5 . Set to 220volts and warming up my strike water to 159°f at 100% power. While this is heating up I'm milling my grains (11.5lb).. gap set to .028" with feeler gauges.. Here is a picture . Let me know what u think?

Attachments

• 20220507_064641.jpg
    20220507_064641.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Milled all 11.5lb of grains .by hand. And 6 5 gallons of strike water was upto 159°f at 35 minutes. From 65°f . Slowly added grains and mixed as I added. Lowered the temp on the anvil to 152°f . Let it sit a couple minutes and stirred it a bit more . Lowered my power to 50% so it wont over heat my grains when it kicks on. Put the perforated disc on top of the basket and put the lid on. Connected the pump and hose to recirculate and clamped it off enough to get wort to flow from one side to the other side of the disc. Going good so far, I think!

Draining basket now. Doesn't seem stuck, still draining. Did recirculation while draining so it would push grains that fell through while lifting back through grain bed. Almost done . Then adding 170°f water to sparge before boil to get to my 6.5 gallon boil volume. Checked with refractometer. It is at 1.059.

Sounds like a successful brew day. Congrats! Did you know you can set the delay timer on your Foundry to start heating strike water in advance of brew day? I fill my Foundry the night before and and program it to start heating a couple of hours before I plan to begin brewing. (I'm using 110v and it takes that long to heat the full volume). I also mill my grains the night before as well.

One tip I can offer to help improve efficiency is to lift the basket once or twice during the mash. Just slowly lift and slowly let it back down. The reason being is that the water on the sides between the outer kettle and the malt pipe does not get pulled down by the pump. That means all that water is not coming into contact with your grain.

Let it drain while I heated to boil and ended up with exactly 6.5 gallons. On to the boil now. Almost boiled over/ foamed over at 100%. Lowered to 65%. Nice boil now.

Sounds like a successful brew day. Congrats! Did you know you can set the delay timer on your Foundry to start heating strike water in advance of brew day? I fill my Foundry the night before and and program it to start heating a couple of hours before I plan to begin brewing. (I'm using 110v and it takes that long to heat the full volume). I also mill my grains the night before as well.

One tip I can offer to help improve efficiency is to lift the basket once or twice during the mash. Just slowly lift and slowly let it back down. The reason being is that the water on the sides between the outer kettle and the malt pipe does not get pulled down by the pump. That means all that water is not coming into contact with your grain.
Hi Kevin.
I did set the pre heat . But was so excited about brew day that I got up before I had the timer set for!!. Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind for the next brew day.

Well. Didnt boil off much water. Still just shy of 6.5 gallons. Not a very vigorous boil either. Cranked it upto 85% . Now got a good vigorous boil now. Hope it doesn't hurt to much to boil longer than 60 minutes.

Boil off using 220v is about a gallon. At 110v its about half a gallon. If you use software just plug one of those numbers into your equipment profile and you won't have to futz around with adjusting boil time to achieve the volume you desire.

So that brew day did go well. Did a dunkelweizen 2 weeks ago, not so well. Pre heated water to 170°f and not so slowly added grains, lowered temp to 152°f and started recirculation pump,slowly running it over the screen plate, and was going good til pump ran out of wort to recirculate, stuck mash, did stir it a few times before it got stuck, plugged all the holes in false bottom. Unplugged it and just plugged up again.😩

I’m getting an error code “E1” on my 10.5. I was just getting started. Stepped 1LB of grain in 2-1/2 gallons of water. Pulled the grain bag and raised temp to start my boil. Never made it to the boil, got the E1 error code. Let it cool and hit the reset. Was able to start again only to get the error again. Had to give up on Anvil and finished on the gas burner in my old pot. I have messaged Anvil two times in two weeks with no response. I can’t find the E1 error code in the manual. Seams odd that the controller is showing the E1 but Anvil does not bother to list it in the manual.

I’m getting an error code “E1” on my 10.5. I was just getting started. Stepped 1LB of grain in 2-1/2 gallons of water. Pulled the grain bag and raised temp to start my boil. Never made it to the boil, got the E1 error code. Let it cool and hit the reset. Was able to start again only to get the error again. Had to give up on Anvil and finished on the gas burner in my old pot. I have messaged Anvil two times in two weeks with no response. I can’t find the E1 error code in the manual. Seams odd that the controller is showing the E1 but Anvil does not bother to list it in the manual.

Contact Jacob Bell at support... 765-421-2018

Another use has suggested: "I just unplugged the unit then remove the black bottom and check the connections. There is a white ribbon cable to the control board that was not firmly set into the socket. Gave the screws an extra quarter turn. Put it back together and now it is heating up without any error codes."

I will check the ribbon cable. If that doesn’t do it I’ll reach out to Jacob. Thank you!

So that brew day did go well. Did a dunkelweizen 2 weeks ago, not so well. Pre heated water to 170°f and not so slowly added grains, lowered temp to 152°f and started recirculation pump,slowly running it over the screen plate, and was going good til pump ran out of wort to recirculate, stuck mash, did stir it a few times before it got stuck, plugged all the holes in false bottom. Unplugged it and just plugged up again.😩
Typical with a fine crush and a bunch of wheat. .028 is a little fine for a false bottom without using a double handful of rice hulls. I'd gap it to about .032 when wheat is involved, or use rice hulls, or both.

Anvil Foundry E1 error code. Update.
I will let you know what I find once I get a chance to pull the bottom off.

Got this reply from Anvil.

Not sure, that code is for an open circuit. If resetting the bottom and resetting power does not get your Foundry up and running, you can check out the wiring and plugs inside of the unit. Always disconnect from power before servicing. You can be electrocuted by touching live wires. Allow the unit to cool before performing this operation.

Follow the instructions in the video to confirm that all connections are tight.

Check the general condition of the wires and components. Check for burned, missing, or loose components. Please send some clear pictures of areas of concern for evaluation.

Happy Brewing!
Doug Granlund
Customer Service
Anvil Brewing Equipment

Typical with a fine crush and a bunch of wheat. .028 is a little fine for a false bottom without using a double handful of rice hulls. I'd gap it to about .032 when wheat is involved, or use rice hulls, or both.
I was thinking about opening the gap a little bit. Thanks. I will try next brew with a .032" gap. Recipe was supposed to come with rice hulls but for some reason it didnt?

Help. If help is possible! So I made the dunkelweizen beer kit and after fermentation was done and moved to keg I added 70oz of simply lemonade to the batch to make a lemonweizen. Let it sit in kegerator for 3 weeks like that.at about 10-12 psi. Well. It foams really bad when first pouring out of tap. Almost all foam then it starts to turn liquid. Checked and replaced O rings and same thing. Could it be the reaction to acid in the lemonade or??. Thanks

Back