Fining a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_dwiz

Reaction score
So I just brewed the NB Swig of Sunbeams DIPA this Saturday, and was going to use Whirlfloc to clear it up a bit, but I forgot. Is there a better fining technique that helps clear up some of the haze that I heard this beer has?

Relax, don't do it.

Haze in an IPA isn't a bad thing. Besides, whether you keg or bottle, some time spent cold conditioning will clear things up quite a bit.

Relax, don't do it.

Haze in an IPA isn't a bad thing. Besides, whether you keg or bottle, some time spent cold conditioning will clear things up quite a bit.
What do you mean by cold conditioning? This is my first batch so I'm trying to get caught up to speed.

What do you mean by cold conditioning? This is my first batch so I'm trying to get caught up to speed.
After you bottle or keg, let it chill for a week to settle and let the 'green' new beer flavor fade. With any sort of IPA you'll lose a bit of hop aroma in aging it at all, but doing so at ~35f will minimize lost flavors and maximize the settling rate of haze-causing particles. My last DIPA has been at that temp for about a month now, the flavor is getting really smooth. I brewed a chocolate bourbon stout at the same time; after 3 weeks of letting it carb up at room temp it had the grainy 'homebrew' taste that I hate but a month later that taste has disappeared and now it's getting really good.

Leave it alone your fine, however if you must....
40839_x700.jpg

Back