Finding HFCS locally? (high fructose corn syrup)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Reaction score
I'm sure sugar is better (still not good for you) and supposedly tastes more classy, but I'm used to factory produced off the shelf pops. I think I'm used to the smooth taste (no bite) of high fructose corn syrup. Where can I get the type used in soda making?

Dude, sugar doesn't have a "bite". It isn't as syrupy as HFCS though. Have you tried the cane sugar versions of Pepsi or Mountain Dew?

Dude, sugar doesn't have a "bite". It isn't as syrupy as HFCS though. Have you tried the cane sugar versions of Pepsi or Mountain Dew?

Never have. I saw them last summer and I didn't try it unfortunately. But I don't like the sweet in my root beers like I do in commercial root beers (Sprecher, IBC, A&W, etc). I'm not talking about the flavor of the extract etc... I'm talking the sweet flavor.

You're looking for light corn syrup. Any corn syrup sold in stores is high fructose corn syrup as far as I'm aware. It is used in candy making a lot to prevent crystallization, but if you want to use it in your soda that is your decision.

You're looking for light corn syrup. Any corn syrup sold in stores is high fructose corn syrup as far as I'm aware. It is used in candy making a lot to prevent crystallization, but if you want to use it in your soda that is your decision.

I thought that soda had HFCS 55 or 45 (can't remember). I think what the store has contains HFCS but I don't think it's purely HFCS. But I could be wrong on what I'm deducing from the ingredients list. Sometimes they have it broken down into more categories on certain single ingredients etc.

But I'm under the impression that that's not HFCS at the store (at least like what's in soda). I was also under the impression that soda type HFCS has to be heated to be used (thick).

Karo syrup I believe is hfcs free but they're are other brands that do contain hfcs but none are 100%.. If you want homemade hfcs you can just invert dextrose I believe :)

I believe that most of the grocery store shelf syrups are a blend of HFCS and a 42DE corn syrup. In my experience HFCS is a lot thinner than the 42DE, with grocery store stuff is somewhere in the middle.

Latest posts

Back