Favorite steak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking to Subsailor's mention of tartar... I love the stuff. My biggest issue is it is hard to find, and when you do, sometimes they put more minced onion in than is to my taste. I prefer a "naked" tartar with an egg yolk and all additional ingredients on the side as add-ons.

Whsoj said:
Deer Tenderloin Fillet rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil wrap sage fresh whole basil leaf wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate until rare

Onion and Bell pepper rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil stuff onion in pepper wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate

potato rub Salt, Pepper, Olive oil wrap in foil place in fire pit rotate

save left overs dice and scramble with eggs in morning add salsa and hot sauce

Josh's campfire meals. MREs are only for military "cause they have no choice" and city folk :D

Deer tenderloin is so freaking good.

I must be a freak.. generally-speaking, I don't like a lot of seasonings on my steaks.. just steak with some salt and pepper. Depending on my mood and how bad the steak came out, I might toss some A1 on it.

For the most part I just like salt and pepper, sometimes a little cracked red pepper and a thin film of olive oil. Garlic powder if Im getting ALL crazy.

If its a lean steak like a file I will put a pat of compound garlic butter on top.

Just had a strip steak for dinner. Only salt and added while cooking on the grill. Charred on the outside, red on the inside, and some roasted baby potatoes. Oh, and one of my Foggy Old London Bitters.

And for the record, if cold, white and flabby I would leave the fat. I would probably leave anything that was cold, white and flabby. If crispy and seasoned, it might very well be the best part.;)

Agreed on simplicity of salt and pepper on most cuts. Let the flavor of the meat come out. I must admit that brushing with butter as it is coming off the fire/going onto the plate adds an extra layer of delicious.

While not a steak the best cut of meat I have ever had was a roast that was placed on a thick bed of salt and then buried in salt then baked. The salt formed a hard shell around the roast that you had to break to get into but my oh my was that ever good.

While not a steak the best cut of meat I have ever had was a roast that was placed on a thick bed of salt and then buried in salt then baked. The salt formed a hard shell around the roast that you had to break to get into but my oh my was that ever good.

Alton Brown did a loin in a salt dough that he baked. I tried it at home, and my guests were just about dueling with their dinner forks in the kitchen for another piece ;)

Deer tenderloin, pan seared in garlic olive oil and a little salt and cracked black pepper.

Revvy said:
Carnivore carnage. Medium rare, 1.5" rib eye (sous vide 3 hours @ 133 degrees with rosemary and garlic,) Parmesan, garlic and black truffle twice baked potato, and steamed asparagus. The steak and veg are drizzled with a bleu cheese cream sauce. Dinner and lunch.

I just had a foodgasm.

There is something to be said for a nice skirt steak (inside skirt in particular) I must say. I usually give it a few shakes of adobo and a thin film of olive oil before it hits the hot coals or the grill-plate.

Perfect fajita filler or just just knife and fork.

Outside skirt is good too, but harder to find.

For fajitas we usually get.the skirt from the michocana (mexican meat market) they are sliced very thin and they marinade them there. Quick hot grill and they are fantastic

Can't beat a ribeye, med rare! Even though they are convenient, I don't believe in gas grills and won't use briquets, gotta go with lump charcoal.

Best steak ever..

Step one: remove your grill grate....no seriously

Get the coals good and hot, then use a magazine, hair dryer, leaf blower or whatever to blow the layer of ash of of the coals.

Slap the steaks right on the freakin coals. The intense heat and direct contact creates a great sear. The lack of oxygen between the meat and coals makes flare ups impossible. I was hesitant the first time I tried it but it is amazing. If you blow the ash off first, you don't really get any at all on the meat. One or two small chunks of coal might stick but just knock 'em off. This does not work with briquets, the ash is too fine and will make a mess...plus you don't want your meat in contact with them considering all the additives and binders they put in them.

Can't beat a ribeye, med rare! Even though they are convenient, I don't believe in gas grills and won't use briquets, gotta go with lump charcoal.

Best steak ever..

Step one: remove your grill grate....no seriously

Get the coals good and hot, then use a magazine, hair dryer, leaf blower or whatever to blow the layer of ash of of the coals.

Slap the steaks right on the freakin coals. The intense heat and direct contact creates a great sear. The lack of oxygen between the meat and coals makes flare ups impossible. I was hesitant the first time I tried it but it is amazing. If you blow the ash off first, you don't really get any at all on the meat. One or two small chunks of coal might stick but just knock 'em off. This does not work with briquets, the ash is too fine and will make a mess...plus you don't want your meat in contact with them considering all the additives and binders they put in them.

I've done this and it is very good. Still, there is something I like about the thick cast iron grates.

Hey Evan,

I like that brewpub that is in that old post office in your town. Visited it a few months ago. Some great brews.

Back