Poor Lautering in MLT with false bottom, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a SS braid to a false bottom for my 10 gallon MLT (standard domed stainless steel FB). I used to have awesome, clear wort before my boil from the great filtering of the SS braid, but would occasionally get stuck/slow runnings. So I upgraded; no more stuck mashes or sluggish runnings, but the false bottom seems to do a horrible job filtering. There is usually a fair amount of grain running into my BK even after vorlaufing more than needed. I ended up attaching a musling bag to the end of my silicon hose that runs my wort into my BK to further filter, but there has to be someone with a more clever solution. Anyone have an extended pickup tube with a filter on it, or something else that works for them? Thanks for any suggestions.

How much are you vorlaufing? Batch or fly sparging?

If you are still getting grain particles you probably aren't vorlaufing enough or in a manner that is not letting the grain bed settle. Are there gaps around the edge of your FB?

You could always invest in a stainless strainer screen and hack it onto the FB as added filtration.

I take a stainless steel scrubby and spread it out over the pickup hole on the false bottom and attach it with twist ties. It seems to work. I've done it maybe half a dozen times and never had any issues.

I am definitely vorlaufing enough (well I guess not enough because I never seem to get completely clear wort anymore) but I shouldn't have to vorlauf 2 gallons to get clear wort. I'll try the SS scrub pad.

those domed false bottoms are known for floating up when stirring the mash and anything getting under them props them up.

replacing the hose with a piece of SS tubing and hand tight compression fittings (o-rings instead of ferules) holds them down better and still allows for easy takedown/cleaning

That's probably it. Right now I have it connected with some silicon tube inside of a SS braid. I will go get something more rigid to attach it with.

I found the false bottom as a horrible filter and had a lot of trouble with it. I modified it three different ways trying to find a solution only to choke it off so bad that liquid wouldn't flow to the pump. The following URL on the Home Brew Talk site was my solution. If you read my replies to questions or watch the video it may give you some additional ideas.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/all-grain-hops-filtering-equipment-410604/

Back