Apfelwein--concentrate vs. not-from-concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I've seen several threads indicating that you want to avoid preservatives in the apple juice for apfelwein, but it seems like a lot of people are brewing it with apple juice from concentrate. Has anyone tried making it from apple juice that was never concentrated? Is there a noticeable difference?

From my experience there isnt much difference. I just go with the cheap <$1 /gallon from concentrate apple juice purchased from costco. Motts or something I believe. It even turned out better than the organic stuff I got from Trader Joes turned out in my opinion.

$1 per gallon at costco? I must have been in the wrong section because the cheapest apple juice I saw there was $9 for 2 gallons.

From my experience there isnt much difference. I just go with the cheap <$1 /gallon from concentrate apple juice purchased from costco. Motts or something I believe. It even turned out better than the organic stuff I got from Trader Joes turned out in my opinion.

Do you mean the frozen stuff?

Now I feel like a fool for blowing $40 on non-concentrated AJ...

Maybe it was just under $2/gallon in 2 gallon packs. The costco brand was right beside the brand name one and cost $.10 or so more than the more name brand stuff. I will check my receipt from this past weekend tonight after work and update.

Ok having checked the receipt I am a big fat liar. It was $7.50/ 2 gallons or $3.75/gallon. I must have been thinking of the prislce per liter or quart

That sounds more like it. At the price you stated originally, I was going to use apfelwein in my cereal instead of milk.

But at the same time considering the from concentrate vs not what about the frozen stuff? Its concentrate juice it basically only costs more because you have to make it and packaging difference. And in my neck of the woods the cans occasionally come on sale 10 for $10

You know, I should get a gallon of from concentrate and enough frozen to make. Gallon, then test.

That sounds more like it. At the price you stated originally, I was going to use apfelwein in my cereal instead of milk.

That could prove detrimental to your liver, health, career, and overall sanity. People may start calling you AppleJack and stop wondering why the persistant smell of apples and urine follow you wherever you go. Children will cower, adults will not meet your eyes, family pets will slink off in shame. Your residence will be just carboys of Apfelwein, empty jugs of apple juice and large 50 lb sacks of sugar. There will be a constant miasma of fermenting apple around your house.

Wow. I really went off on a rant there. I do wish I could find it for $1/gal. Cheers! The above post is in no way meant to call you an alcoholic or slight your hygenic practices. Now go take a shower you hippie!

Back