Power supply for CIP pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0verdrive

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a CIP system, and am using a NorthStar Pump that draws 10A at 12V. To power it, I ordered a 12V 10A AC/DC power supply from Amazon. However, when I connected the power supply to the pump, the power supply immediate shuts off, as if it was overloaded.

To troubleshoot whether the problem was the pump or the power supply, I connected the pump to a 12V 10A motorcycle battery, and the pump operated as expected. While the battery was connected, I inserted a multimeter and found that the pump starts at a low amperage (~4A), and ramps up to around 10A. (typically around 6-7A, though it very briefly hit 10.9A once)

I verified that the power supply is delivering 12V, but couldn't verify the amperage, since it shuts down immediately when the circuit is connected. But with the voltage being correct, it looks like it can't handle the amp requirement, despite being rated for it.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into similar problems? What power supplies are people using for their pumps? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
As a follow-up, I've since found this power supply which claims to be able to support a water pump. But it isn't water-proof. The power supply will obviously be out of the water, but water often gets sloshed around in a brewery, and I'd hate to see what would happen if water hit that power supply. If I had to use a power supply like this one, any thoughts as to how to keep it out of the water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Strap it to a cat? ;)

Obviously it'll need to be vented somehow, but you could put it in a hobby box, cut in a small 12V intake fan and an exhaust vent - both on the underside - and mount it so the top is up...

Cheers!

" C I P ".........'Splain for the Newbie please.

CIP is an acronym for "Clean In Place," and is used to describe a system that uses a pump to pump cleaner through a nozzle into various equipment (kegs, carboys, kettles) that need to be cleaned.

In my case, I'd bought a 12v pump, and the power supply for the pump was inadequate. However, I was able to adapt a computer (desktop) power supply, mounted in a Radio Shack project box, which seems to work.

I haven't finished the project yet - lots of other stuff to take care of, but I'll report progress when it's complete.

Back