Honey Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
Bored today so I'm toying with the idea of brewing up something tomorrow. I have extra honey laying around from all the mead making so I figured I'd incorporate it into a beer. Haven't done a dark beer in a long time so I think it's time again.

7lb 2 row - 51.9%
2lb Flaked Oats - 14.8%
1lb Chocolate Malt - 7.4%
1lb Victory Malt - 7.4%
.5lb Honey Malt - 3.7%
.5lb Roasted Barley - 3.7%
1.5lb Honey - 11.1%

Total grain/fermentable bill 13.5lbs

Mash at 152 degrees for an hour, 90 minute boil
2.5oz Kent Golding hops at 60 minutes.
US-05 yeast

Should be around 1.064 OG, 35 IBU, 36.3 SRM, 1.016 FG at 6.3% ABV. I'm not shooting for anything in particular OG wise so whatever it comes out to is good.

Any thoughts? I've never used victory malt in any of my recipes before but I heard it works well in porters and stouts.

Well I couldn't find any US-05 at my local homebrew supply house, so I used some BRY-95. The beer came out very clean despite being fermented in the low 70's due to our summer temps here in Sacramento. It also dried out a little more than expected and came out to 6.7%. Very very drinkable and a little dangerous because it does not taste like a higher content beer at all. Overall it is good, and smells of dark roasted coffee and chocolate but no honey flavor or aroma at all. Next time I will throw in some smoked malt, maybe some crystal, more hops for higher IBU, and 2 pounds of some dark strong wildflower honey to break through the roastiness of the black barley. Might even use a different yeast to impart some different flavors and mash a couple degrees higher next time but I'm not too sure yet.

Great beer, this keg will go quickly but the next one will be better. ;)

This pic is after just under a week in the keg, right next to my 10" abalone. Nice creamy stout head forming. Back in the fridge to age for another 2 weeks before trying again.

stout.jpg

When did you add the honey? I always read that added in boil it leaves no honey flavors and can tend to dry out the beer. Maybe save some and add at secondary, or at bottling/kegging.

That shell is 10"? A, bolone. :ban:

Haha, yep. Hope to get a bigger one this season. Feel free to check out my youtube, I put all my diving videos up now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brewdiver82

I added the honey after flame out. The problem is, with all of the dark roasty notes the mild flavor of the meadowfoam honey didn't stand a chance. Which I suspected, but I had 4 pounds leftover from mead making last year. I think some nice dark wildflower honey might cut through the roastiness and make it to the finished product though. We'll see. Definitely not bad as is though.

With mead, the aroma does come back with a vengeance after about 6 months. There is no way this will last anywhere near that long though. lol

Back