Silicone orings for elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
What size oring do I need for an element?

I want to buy a silicone one, but it's going to cost like $7 with with shipping for a single oring. Anyone know somewhere local I can get one?

Get the kit from BargainFittings. Comes with o-ring and SS grooved lock-nut. I have 4 elements, none leak, easy to install.

IMO you need the oring or gasket on the outside of the kettle. I use the stock Camco gasket with my element.

I have also purchase a sheet of silicon gasket material through amazon for about $10 shipped which will work for lots of bulkhead connections. If you have a grainger that is local you should be able to buy a few o-rings and save on shipping.

IMO you need the oring or gasket on the outside of the kettle. I use the stock Camco gasket with my element.

I have also purchase a sheet of silicon gasket material through amazon for about $10 shipped which will work for lots of bulkhead connections. If you have a grainger that is local you should be able to buy a few o-rings and save on shipping.

Different strokes. I have the BF kit, just the silicone o-ring and lock-nut on the inside. 4 elements (6 installs total, two kettles I've swapped), never a leak.

My lock nut is soldered to my keg. So the only logical place for the oring is on the outside. I've been using my camco seal, but there is a black streak running into the bottom of my kettle after every brew and I've been thinking it might be from the seal. Plus, the black seals are probably not designed to be used at boiling temperatures.

If you have a grainger that is local you should be able to buy a few o-rings and save on shipping.

I have graingers, but I need to know what size.

My lock nut is soldered to my keg. So the only logical place for the oring is on the outside. I've been using my camco seal, but there is a black streak running into the bottom of my kettle after every brew and I've been thinking it might be from the seal. Plus, the black seals are probably not designed to be used at boiling temperatures.

I have graingers, but I need to know what size.

I believe it's 1". I'm 85% sure. Is your locknut grooved? Just curious.

Yep, 1". http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=95

I got mine from here:
http://www.oringsandmore.com
I got a bag of 15 for my elements, I also put together 25 o ring kits for cornys and a few other o rings I need for my build and my order with shipping was under $20 if I remember correctly.

I believe it's 1". I'm 85% sure. Is your locknut grooved? Just curious.

Yep, 1". http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=95

That ad does not say what size the o-ring is. The lock nut is 1".

The correct o-ring for a grooved lock nut from McMaster is McMaster part number 9396K38. It's 1.171" ID and 1.449" OD. This o-ring will probably work on other lock nuts, but I can tell you from my experience using both that it fits perfectly in the lock nuts from McMaster. I would even us these o-rings on a non-grooved lock nut because they fit the elements very well. Just go easy on the tightening if your lock nut has no groove so you don't squeeze it.

That ad does not say what size the o-ring is. The lock nut is 1".

The correct o-ring for a grooved lock nut from McMaster is McMaster part number 9396K38. It's 1.171" ID and 1.449" OD. This o-ring will probably work on other lock nuts, but I can tell you from my experience using both that it fits perfectly in the lock nuts from McMaster. I would even us these o-rings on a non-grooved lock nut because they fit the elements very well. Just go easy on the tightening if your lock nut has no groove so you don't squeeze it.

I'm almost positive the o-ring is 1" ID as well, though. It is a tight fit around the element, ie. it stretches slightly to go on (I roll it on).

Excellent. Looks like it's slightly over 1.25", which is the hole size to drill, even if the element is a "1 inch"

I have a bunch of extras and would be happy to ship them to anyone for $1. Dimensions are 1-3/16" ID, 1-7/16" OD, 1/8" Width.

Back