Final kegged beer smells like grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Koepke

DaveK
Reaction score
I have brewed many beers but this is a first. This is only the 2nd beer I have kegged. I poured my first one and the beer smells like grain. It tastes fine. Rye Pale Ale

The only thing that I can think would have caused this was how much I squeezed the BIAB bag. I squeezed it several times and a couple that were well, 30+ min, into the boil. Do you think that late addition of grain/mash juice could have caused that smell?

Thanks
David

No. The squeezing-is-bad thing is a myth.

It's made of grain. It should smell like grain. Have you done a sensory panel to identify specifically what aroma you may be detecting?

Rye has a more distinct 'grain' aroma than most other grain. That's probably what you're smelling.

No. The squeezing-is-bad thing is a myth.
I knew this before when I was researching BIAB. I had never continuously went back to squeezing that late after the mash before.

It's made of grain. It should smell like grain. Have you done a sensory panel to identify specifically what aroma you may be detecting?

No but I do plan on entering this in a competition so I guess I will see what feedback comes back from the judges.

Rye has a more distinct 'grain' aroma than most other grain. That's probably what you're smelling.
This is the first time I have brewed with rye.

No but I do plan on entering this in a competition so I guess I will see what feedback comes back from the judges.
Prevent oxidation!
Oxidation may well be one of the single most common flaws in many beginners' home brews.

Look up '100% liquid pre-purging kegs' and 'oxygen free transfers.'

Other common flaws I have encountered:
  • Under-carbonated
  • Underwhelming hop presence (aroma/flavor) where it should be (IPAs, Pales)
  • Use of weird/off kelter adjuncts, additives or flavorings

Back