Final batch size/abv.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gvan84

Reaction score
So I just racked my first all grain brew to my bottling bucket and I found that my final volume was about 1.5 gallons less than expected. This might cause the abv. So be way higher than anticipated. Any priming issues I should be concerned with or just bottle as usual. 12 lbs of grain ended up with 3.5 gallons after all is said and done

So I just racked my first all grain brew to my bottling bucket and I found that my final volume was about 1.5 gallons less than expected. This might cause the abv. So be way higher than anticipated. Any priming issues I should be concerned with or just bottle as usual. 12 lbs of grain ended up with 3.5 gallons after all is said and done

Be sure to calculate priming sugar based on actual volume you'll be bottling--3.5 gal minus the trub volume. You'll have a higher ABV than predicted.

Be sure to calculate priming sugar based on actual volume you'll be bottling--3.5 gal minus the trub volume. You'll have a higher ABV than predicted.
Ya I will calculate as per volume collected, is there anything to do to bring the abv. Down or just roll with it?

Diluting might change the whole balance of hops, malt, etc. And not necessarily in a good way. Without knowing more about your brew, my thoughts are to just let it ride, as is.
Well I guess I should have measured my water rather than trusting the markings in my kettle. Oh well haha it looks like beer, and tastes like beer. Next round I will learn from my mistakes haha

The batch volume does NOT affect ABV if you are calculating it based on hydrometer readings, which is what you should be doing.

The bottling volume DOES affect how much priming sugar to use.

You could check the OG, calculated IBUs, and any finishing hops to see if diluting would be appropriate. I would guess since your recipe was based on 5 gallons, it could be diluted to get what you intended.

Latest posts

Back