Did I add yeast too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am making a Brew House Beer Kit (Pale Ale) - so no boiling extracts, just dump everything into a fermenter.

I waited 8 hours to add my yeast as it took a while to get to the 23 C mark. Will this be a problem?

Shouldn't be as long as the wort was in a secure and sanitized environment. However the goal is to cool the wort ASAP and pitch the yeast.

Thanks for your reply. Wouldn't the need to cold break the wort only apply to a boiling brew? I am not sure what the wort stuff you get in those kits actually is to be honest, but I assume they have been pre-boiled.

If you had to add it to water,then boiling water is usually best. The thick liquid is LME,& the fine powdery kind is DME. Did you have either of those,or wass it pre-mixed wort?

Yes it was a pre-mixed wort, which was added to water. I just got the 1.8 gallons of water it called for to mix with it from the tap.

Those kits are interesting even if quite expensive. I brew all grain so I am not interested in going that route.

As to - Too late: No many brewers will do a no chill. That is allow the wort to cool by itself, usually overnight and pitch the yeast in the morning. This requires very good sanitation as the longer a wort sits the more likely it is to get infected.

Thanks for your reply! Good to know I am not in danger. The kit was $33, cheaper than brewing with DME and LME, probably not as cheap as all grain though.

Back