Candi sugar won't harden completely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I tried to make my own clear candi sugar today, as per https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_Candi_Sugar. As the article said, I heated the sugar until it was boiling and slightly yellow. I poured it into some silicone baking pans, and put them in the fridge. The sugar is now cold, but gooey. I'm assuming this means that the inversion didn't complete. Is the sugar salvageable? Can I reheat it and try again? I'll really be disappointed if I have to throw away three pounds of sugar.

If you boiled it with the acid, it converted. You probably did not get it hot enough to solidify (hardball? crack? I can't remember which it is). At any rate, it's fine. You have a thick syrup. Put it in a jar or plastic storage container until you're ready to add it to your brew.

Yes, you have to get it up to hard crack, I think about 300, for it to solidify. You may want to darken it more next time, more flavor, more color. I have mine fermenting in a Bourbon Barrel Quad (with dark cherries). Very excited about that.

I'm going for a tripel. From what I've read, tripels are often made with clear candi sugar, so that's why I didn't darken it more. If I'm disappointed in the flavor, I'll definitely make darker sugar next time around. In any case, it's cheaper than 7.99 per lb at the brew store!

You can also do both. One batch of light, then leave some in for a long time to get a batch of dark. Then you can show off a trippel and a dubbel.

Easy investment in time to save tons off the expensive brew shop stuff. My recommendation is to add 1lb. at a time in primary after 3-4 days.

Back